Register now to get rid of these ads!

SBF/289 Is for 60's HotRods. Don't put WW on it!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MATACONCEPTS, Aug 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yup

2. slammed

slammed

3. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

That's fine. It's when you go finance $1000 Bias WWW & strive for a certain look.

Hey, If your gonna run SBF in your Hot Rod, buy Blackwalls, Drag Slicks, or 60's or new WWs. Like Duece Daddy Don, SBF represents High Performace, 60's, Bias WWW scream 50's, that's all. Tech.

4. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

5. hallrods

hallrods

This is a tough subject all around. I have alot of my fathers friends around who tell me how it was then. I'm 50 years old and I don't remember what was going on but I was told what was cool in the 40's was not being done in the 50's and what was going on in the 60's wasn't the same as the 50's hot rods were changing all the time. Some things had to do with cost my dad wanted cragars for his car and didn't have the cash so the 2" whites and baby moons stayed longer than he wanted.

6. Ok, I gotta laugh now.....

Note the 'trad' roadster; WW on the back, BW with mags on the front, and powered by a.... look closely.... a SBF.... :D

7. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

Yeah, we were poor. I'm still poor. What ever used tire holds air. Oh yeah, that reminds me, last night while taking my boys for a walk, I grabbed 2 used tires from my neighbor, 265/70/16s & 2 screwdrivers & threw it on a 1935 wire wheel, LOOKS Bitchen. For a used tire with a tad over an 1/8" thread, it sat at 30" tall, so new probally 31" tall. And wide, looks tough. I'll take a pix tonight.

8. hallrods

hallrods

Do you really think that that was the look he was going for or is it that with all those kids what he could afford? Work in progress

9. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

In all fairness, those 1960 magazine covers were of cars built in 1959 or earlier. You can't use a magazine to make a point against what the OP said. I don't agree with his opinion, but it's not worth my time to try and prove him wrong.

The only people who really have a dog in this fight are the 50 guys on the HAMB with a TRULY traditional build. So far, none of them have come out and they won't. Because it doesn't bother them. Why should it?

Funny, you go to a muscle car forum and no one's arguing about whether a car has redlines or raised white letters. They're having too much fun enjoying each others cars to sweat that small shit.

If someone new opened up the HAMB and saw this thread first, they'd be thinking, "What a bunch of old whining women."

11. Weasel...... I said before you are "The Ole knowledgeable One"

12. Snot Rocket

Snot Rocket

Soooooo, what have we all learned here?

SBF and WWW don't play well together?

Don's post polished a smelly turd?

Old magazine covers show us more chrome than is currently legal?

Bunnies actually will sit still for a waffle hat?

I even took a nap half way through reading this thread and I am still confused. I thought hotrods were a very intimate expression of a personal point of view combined with a particular budget.

Non sequitur picture to follow...

Attached Files:

13. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

well i'm pro street so I think i'm safe.now where's my cape.

14. dragonknucks

dragonknucks

I've got a 54 ford that I'm planning on putting WWWs on. I'm running a 302/c4.... Maybe I'll just keep my hood closed so nobody can see my engine. Then I'll be ok right? I wont get taken to jail by the traditional police? Man, I hope it will be ok. You kept your hood closed on your v6 right? And nobody busted you? I think I might just have Guinness and think about what I'm gonna do. Hell, maybe WWW with no hood! Yeah, that's the ticket!

15. If you have a Hemi no one even looks at your tires! LOL

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

Damn ... and I thought my drivers license picture was bad.....

17. 2racer

2racer

Dude, you make no sense, the only way out of this deep hole is to admit you are wrong!

18. Jims35

Jims35

Correct , your father was right for my neck of the woods , southwest Idaho. I'm 71 and i remember those days well. My dad let me have the family sedan , 55 ford mainliner , in 1957 . It had black walls so the first thing i did was drop the rear , put twin pipes on it and get me some 3" wide white walls. Like i had been seeing on the cars fixed up in the mid 50s . Well by that time the other guys were starting to put the new 2" wide ones on. so in 1959 i traded for a 56 fairlane and it had the 2" white walls on it. Then in 1964 i traded for a 64 falcon futura , still have it and it had the new 1.5" whitewalls. but by that time the guys had started using raised white lettered walls. So i was always just a little behind the trends , but that's the way we are here in IDAHO , L.O.L.

P.S. I have been restoring my 64 futura for my daughter and she wanted ' 2" wide white walls on the original now hard to find 13" wheels . But we found some so it looks like it did in 1964 .

19. slammed

slammed

20. Post Apocalyptic Kustoms

Post Apocalyptic Kustoms
    BANNED
    from Outside

Great thread, now can we start one about what color lug nuts people ran in 1962? Don't we have anything better to bitch about than who has white walls on their car? Who gives a shit? I have radials on my car, wanna fight about it?

21. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

Obviously unless you were born decades after the traditional style was first born and you have the correct zip code you know nothing so please all say sorry to the OP...The Expert.
    No back to posts with some real content.

22. It doesn't fuckin matter what motor it has,and what tires it has! That's just stupid...
    Some cars look better with WW's and some look better with black walls. I think the color of the car is the determining factor. You're talking out your ass,Mata....haha.

23. Now....if you said,"SBF,you should have an 8-track',i'd be on your side!

Attached Files:

• dick.bmp
      File size:
      85.2 KB
      Views:
  24. Wide whites were waning in popularity by the early 60's but they were by no means extinct.

Bonneville, 1962;

[​IMG]

Jan '62 Hot Rod;

[​IMG]

Dec 1963 Hot Rod Mag;

[​IMG]

August '63 Car Craft;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Several of those are "50's style" skinnys.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  25. I'm transplanting a sbf (5.0 roller at that) in my Model A. I am going to paint it white (the engine) and I am putting WWW on it just because of this thread! (Ok and because I think it looks cool)

26. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Nice. That's one of the 50 I spoke of. Now, let's see if the other 49 show up.

27. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

was there some sort of anouncement that would go out and let everybody know when it was time to re-adjust to the new trend? i think that if i bought a set of 3" white walls in 1959, and only used my car on the wekkends, and by 1964 i haddn't worn them out yet and someone told me "we're going to 1-3/4" now, spread the news"...please. there is no year or month that you can timeline all this stuff to. people would buy new stuff as they could aford it, and were not bothered with such sillyness. maybe some guy wanted a certain car or look that he couldn't aford and buy the time he had the funds to build it, a couple of years went by. who was keeping track if his build was current to trends? nobody.

28. Veach

Veach

Can't we just get along ? Well Hell no we are Car Guys and that's what makes it so FUN

29. vega1

vega1

Yep me to haga

30. 49styleline

49styleline
    from oregon

I'm really surprised this thread is still up..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.