Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical SBC water pump recommendations:

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by c-10 simplex, Oct 4, 2017.

1. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

1) i am looking for a water pump that is:

a) Aluminum

b) standard flow. i don't want (and don't think i need?) "high-flow;" Everything is pretty much stock, and the stock cooling system is doing a pretty good job.
    UNLESS, using a "high-flow" pump does not put any extra pressure/strain on the stock system; In that case, i may consider a high-flow pump, i.e., Edlebrock 8811 etc.

c) High quality; Money is not an object as long as it is under $300.

2) Now, if #1 cannot be achieved, then what is a good quality stock-type iron pump?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  2. squirrel

squirrel

I wouldn't put too much stock in the "high flow" claims....just get one that hopefully was made in this country, and looks decent, and is affordable.

I needed one for a big block, I found a nice used original Corvette pump on ebay and had it rebuilt, been working fine. Total expenditure around $200 or so. Then a year later, I found a nice nos one at the swap meet for $75. It's my spare, now, and I'll probably never need it.

mid-late 80s Vettes (with a small block) used a short pump, that is aluminum, but it's reverse rotation...oh well.

3. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

i think GM still sells this one, but it's too short........i could get spacers but that's too complicated.....

4. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

As a side note, i just checked again and #19168604 is the short aluminum corvette type pump sold by GM. And this one is standard/clockwise rotation.

MIKE STEWART and hotrodharry2 like this.

5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Stewart

mad mikey likes this.
  6. squirrel

squirrel

Oh, you need a long water pump? if so, then you probably want an aftermarket pump. the corvette pumps are all short

7. 1961 Poncho

1961 Poncho
    from Las Vegas

Part number?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

8. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

#19168604 is the aluminum short style (68-82 small block corvette) pump which is sold by Chevrolet Performance.

i'm going to try to replace the back cover gasket on the existing pump (it's leaking there) and if that doesn't work, i'm likely going with the Edlebrock #8811.

9. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Stewartx2

mad mikey likes this.
  10. What Jimmy said. Nice long lasting pumps!