Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical SBC valve covers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by binderbart, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

@DDDenny... WHAAAAATT???? Are those real, or a photoshop trick?
    The 'script' isn't slanted, looks like a 'prototype'???
    What's the story, Den? Lay it on me, please...Please? :confused:

2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Mike
    I honestly can't remember where I found that photo, somewhere on the web.
    I back Googled the photo and one came up from a closed e-bay listing, so I don't think it was photoshopped. Pretty cool though, you just know the guys with sbc's in their Bakers would love them.

3. Craig Owens

Craig Owens

The stock GM steel 327 valve covers with the little box in the middle do indeed have a "correct" way to install them. Look very closely at the sheet metal rail on the long side...both of them. On one, you'll see a little stamped 0. That side goes up. Look very closely at the valve cover from either end, and you'll see that they're not exactly symmetric. If you install them with the 0 down, they'll fit, of course, but if you have a high lift cam, the push rod end of the rocker arm can contact the rocker cover and eventually wear through. The same holds true for the stock OEM other steel valve covers...they have that little 0 stamped on them, and that side goes up.

4. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I just wonder how much 'good stuff' I gave away because I had 'em and somebody else needed 'em.