Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs SBC TWIN TURBO SMOKING

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34ford 454, May 15, 2019.

1. 34ford 454

34ford 454

Can anyone HELP?
    I have a sbc 350 with twin turbos and a mild cam. It has a new Howards roller can with roller lifters and roller clam shell rockers, electric fuel pump. It does not use oil and I have no excessive oil leaks anywhere. No coolant loss either. I rebuilt it less than 100 miles ago with everything new. It is smoking out the exhaust pipes and I have done everything I can think of to stop the smoke. It has a reservoir oil tank with a scavenger pump to pump the turbo drain oil back to the fuel pump opening back to the pan. No pressure here, just steady stream of oil. I have disconnected turbo drain line and dumped into open can; I have removed the forced air turbo referenced connection to the hat; I have put PCV on one valve cover; I have vented the other valve cover to the air under car; I have disconnected both forced air tubes from the carb hat; Had a rocker stud broken and replaced with screw in stud and new roller rocker; engine cranks and runs good with no apparent issues other than the smoke. It is a blackish blue in color. I have reduced the amount of fuel by carb adjustment and fuel pump regulator to the minimum amount to keep the car running thinking that it was over fueling.
    STUMPED.

2. squirrel

squirrel

blackish sounds like rich mixture.

put a wideband O2 sensor on it, see what's up with the fuel mixture?

porknbeaner and VANDENPLAS like this.
  3. Sounds like it’s rich
    Intake or turbo pipes oily indicating it’s eating oil?
    Vacuum / boost readings ?
    Leak down / compression test?
    I would start with that
    And with what @squirrel said about the wide band o2

4. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

What do the plugs look like? Lippy

porknbeaner likes this.

5. Does the PCV you installed have a good baffle under it? Mine did not have one and smoked. I made a plate/baffle inside the valve cover and all is well.

Chucky and squirrel like this.
  6. badvolvo

badvolvo

I had a turbo failure when I was playing with them in the 90's. It spooled up fine, but pulled oil through the seal while at idle. The smoke would clear once she spooled. But oil burns blue, fuel burns black.

Bearcat_V8 likes this.
  7. Dyce

Dyce

Is it a blow through system? Where do you have the pcv plumbed in? Manifold vacuum does turn into boost if the turbos are doing there job.

porknbeaner likes this.
  8. sunbeam

sunbeam

Do I understand you have a PCV and what is essentially a road draft tube. So you are pulling a vacuum on one valve cover and a open tube hanging under the car on the other not good.