Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical SBC / turbo 350 in Model A

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by dirt t, Oct 6, 2017.

1. I built my frame and ready to build an X cross member could someone give me the distance from the center of the front cross member to the center of the transmission mounting holes. I don't want to modify firewall.
    Thank you for your time
    Terry aka dirt t

2. coody

coody

Working now but could get you that this weekend if nobody else does

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. Thanks coody

4. maybe a bit more info..... stock frame/wheel base? extended wheelbase?

going to be hard to put a sbc/th350 in a stock wheelbase frame without cutting the firewall

5. Stock wheel base.
    I think it can be done with a short water pump and small distributor.

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. jhutch

jhutch

Not so sure it'll fit without touching the firewall if you aren't making it longer or plan on pushing the Rad out. I just installed an X-member on my A Frame, SBC350/TH350, short pump and mech fan. If you mount the body in the stock place you'll need a 3-4" recess in the firewall. Even if you used an electric fan I don't think you'll pick up the space needed. Not sure how you plan to mount the motor and what fan you plan to run, but those will play into it.

As I discovered watching my welder and trusted advisor on this project, you can buy parts, you can make parts, but at the end of the day you'll need to do your own math and mock up to determine what will fit where.

7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Dirt T: An old modification (if you have a '30-'31) was to remove the firewall (and stock gas tank!) and install the same firewall backward. This gave roughly 4" to the engine compartment, but 4" less in the interior length!
    But it was done quite often, can be clean...

mad mikey likes this.
  8. mohead1

mohead1

I had to cut my firewall to fit that combo.....actually cut it flush with the cowl/body, fabricated a flat steel one....still tight but room for distributor and using a long style water pump.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

dan31 likes this.
  9. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In a swap like this is there any disadvantage to running a short water pump?

10. Not that I can think of. I run a short pump on my blown 406. I do not have room for a long pump set up with the blower belt.

11. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

You could go with the 93-98 Chevy LT1 out of a Vette or Caprice which has the distributor in the front.

12. dan31

dan31

13. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

This one has an uncut firewall but with a 32 grill shell and after market radiator which gave some wiggle room, still a tight fit and recessed firewall is easier. Note header tube and valve cover position on shot with hood side off---ahead of firewall/cowl.

IMG_4335.JPG IMG_4337.JPG

14. dan31

dan31

Like mohead1 said, flat firewall. Pull your numbers from the back of the front cross member. Give your self just enough room for your bottom pulley against the cross member . You could cheat the radiator forward some if you are not going to use fenders [hood would change anyway if using a 32 grill]. If you have your engine and tranny now that measurement from the front cross member will give you your tranny mount location.I used a small base msd dist. . Set your body close close then center your rear. I think my wheel base is slightly longer than stock. This was on a perimeter ,stock dimension 31' frame.

15. mohead1

mohead1

Yep, im using a small cap MSD dist. And i have just enough room to get the cap on and off....maybe 2 inches.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

16. Flat fire wall moved back several inches, small MSD cap. WIN_20150308_151943.JPG

clunker likes this.
  17. Another recent pic. WIN_20170423_12_34_39_Pro.jpg