Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical SBC Tunnel Ram Carb Selection: Holley 4224 vs 1850

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by voltaic, Sep 23, 2019.

1. voltaic

voltaic

Hey all, got a question for the masses about carb selection for a build I'm putting together.

SBC bored / stroked to 427, planning 2x4 tunnel ram. It's going in a gasser style build, and while it will see time on the strip, I'd like to keep it relatively driveable on the street. Trying to decide between Holley 4224 and Holley 1850 carbs. There's a couple of threads on the HAMB about this exact question, and tons of threads on other forums, but there's of course a lot of conflicting opinions.

Right now I'm leaning toward the 1850s since the vacuum secondaries should give much better driveability, but I'm wondering how much the 1850 might hurt WOT performance compared to the 4224? I don't imagine that it would be much, but wanted to throw it out there and get some opinions.

2. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Simple...
    Is this a "race" engine ? Light car with 5.13 or more gear, manual trans. or a LOOSE converter ?

If not, the 1850's will suit you just fine.
    Remember, you can tune the secondaries with lighter springs...right ?

Will the center squirters work, sure. Will they work "well" on a street engine (as compared to other carburetors)...not really. Will they give anything even close to good mileage, no..! Even the idle circuits are too rich for the street.

Mike

3. voltaic

voltaic

Mike,

Thanks for the reply. I should have included some more details. I wouldn't consider the engine a race engine. The car is in early stages, so I don't have actual numbers, but I'd say ballpark at 550-600HP, 3,300lbs, 4.10 gear, 3-speed auto 2500-3000 stall.

If I go with the 1850s I'm sure I'll end up throwing quickchange vacuum secondaries and balance tubes on it, can always throw white / yellow springs in it for the track.

One other quick thing: I want to run the carbs inline on the tunnel ram which means I can't add secondary metering blocks. You (or anyone else) have any experience with this: https://www.aedperformance.com/part...ce-adjustable-jet-plate-part-6320-detail.html ? Would be nice to be able to swap secondary jets without replacing the entire plate...