Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical SBC tri power with comp cams thumper cam

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JNKYARDDOG_1, May 9, 2019.

1. Has any one ran this cam with a tri power setup and any luck or did it fall flat on its face?

2. demian5

demian5

I just went through choosing a cam for my truck. Everything I read about the thumpers were that they were for the idle sound and not for performance.

I have a c10 with a built 355CI/TH350 combo (stock converter) with 307 rear end (31" tires) and went with the Comp Cams 268H.

3. Littleman ran 10's in the quarter with a thumper cam and 6x2's in his model A p/u, maybe do a search for that.

hrm2k likes this.
  4. ray

ray
    from colorado

they can certainly make power if the rest of the combo supports it. i put one in a pretty stout 383 in my 51 last fall. i'm running a vintage weiand say why-and dual quad intake, and experienced some pretty severe reversion due to a bad combo. over the winter i swapped from stock iron log manifolds to some mid length 1 5/8 primary headers and went from 2" to 2 1/2 exhaust and it seems much stronger, though i haven't looked for the vapor cloud i'd see above the carbs before, nor rejetted yet. but be warned, it could be an issue for you with a thumpr and short runner intake. i would not recommend it unless your combo is good for at least 450 hp and a stick or higher stall converter, and even then, make sure you really want that idle.

loudbang likes this.