Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical SBC to flathead mounts with mechanical pump?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldrelics, Aug 23, 2018.

1. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

I can’t seem to find sbc to flattie mount that allows use of mechanical fuel pump.
    Any suggestions?

2. Hurst mount and notch the mount to clear the pump if you are trying for traditional.

3. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

Is it a big notch, like most of the mount, or just a little clearancing?
    Any body have a pic ?

4. it can work just fine, you need to space the mount forward, I have used original ford front shackle links as spacers, and a small body fuel pump. Both summit and speedway sell one. This will only work in model A up to 34 frame. 35 to 40 frames the fuel pump slams into the front cross member a lot of the time. you just need to get a Hurst style mount and start mocking it up till you get the right combination.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018

5. You can make a 1/2" spacer to put between mount and block that will help with size of relief.
    The Wizzard

6. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

Its 42-47 pickup so should be fine , thanks!

7. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

Thanks!

8. So how does a 1/2" spacer effect firewall clearance if using the Hurst mount on the stock Ford flathead
    front mount location?

9. It doesn't. The Hurst mount is slotted for the Biscuit bolts. The block still bolts to the Trans in the same way and the motor sits in the same exact spot. Just the cradle moves forward and effects nothing else.
    The Wizzard

porknbeaner likes this.
  10. catdad49

catdad49

It will work, but it's tight. I did it on my A after looking at the pics of the Rand Man A coupe. There is a build thread on here that shows how much material is removed from the back of the frame mount. I also moved the frame mount closer to the front crossmember. Look at the pics in "A Full Fendered Side Project" posted by Ryan, page 12.