Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical SBC & T5 in 35-40 frame question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Artiki, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Guys, I know this has been done to death here but struggling to find what I need in the search function.

Got a '38 Tudor with a very tired 221, and a mightily handsome 265 Chevy from a '56 arriving this week. The obvious choice is to mate this to the 3-speed, though I also have a S-10 T5 on the floor and would prefer the added drivability.

I'm fully aware of what is involved in going open drive and have done this before on a Model A some years back. My question is at the other end of the car. Will the T-5 clear the front wishbone mount or will I need to split the front 'bones and relocate them? I'll be using a Hurst mount at the front with an electric pump, and I know the mount will need spacing up the clear at the front, will this be enough to clear the 'bone mount too?

Thanks in advance for your help. Haven't been around the HAMB much of late, but it's nice to look in again and see what's going on.

Hnstray likes this.
  2. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

The t-5 is too wide so you will have to split the bones and altar the x member. Speedway sells a kit to install a turbo 350 tranny in the 35-40 frames and this kit can be modified to work with the t-5. There is also a way to use a s-10, t-5, 4 wheel drive transmission and keep the closed drive shaft.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  3. I don't think you'll have to split them, I did'nt on my 36 with the Muncie. I made a new ball socket and mounted it below the new trans mount I bought from Chassis Engineering, kept the wishbone intact. It save ALOT of work and it rides like a 36 FORD should. Mitch.

alchemy likes this.
  4. oldsman41

oldsman41

I believe you have long enough bones not to split them you can make a bracket to fit the wishbone socket in or cut it off and use a johnny joint.

5. 40ragtopdown

40ragtopdown

Here's one that was on here some time ago looks like might have to split your bones. P1000178.jpg

6. 40ragtopdown

40ragtopdown

7. Woodie

Woodie

No You Don't. !!