Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Sbc starter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Spanky65, Dec 12, 2015.

1. Spanky65

Spanky65

I bought a new flexplate at Advance Auto Parts part # fra-100 it's has 168 teeth. I was running a 4 speed and swapped to a th350 and my old starter kept getting hung up, starter sat too close. It had the staggered bolt pattern. I bought a new starter from Advance, looked up a starter for an 80 c10 and that same vehicle list the same flexplate I bought. And I'm having the same issue with this starter, I have an 1/8'' drill bit to measure it. I put 6 shims on it and it still sits too close.

2. Every time I've had this problem i was able to fix it with the shims. This was always 350's for me what sbc is it?

3. EZ Cool

EZ Cool
    Alliance Vendor

Cheap Chinese flexplate might be too big.

4. I have probably changed 100 SBC starters over the years and had to shim 2 of them. Maybe you require a smaller flywheel, but something does not play well with everything else.

5. Do you have the support on the front of the starter and the correct starter bolts with the knurls on them?

6. SLEDRZ

SLEDRZ

I had lots of start motor troubles with the one on my 350/350 combo. I have broken two front snouts on the staggered type and currently on my second hi torque starter. Both types needed to have multiple shim in place. I bought a new 168 tooth flex plate last year and it was hitting the teeth on the starter once running. The high stall converter ended up being the cause of pulling the flex plate out of line due to a mount being bent.