Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods SBC short high volume water pump

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 440 deluxe, Sep 15, 2018.

1. 440 deluxe

440 deluxe

Whats the best high volume water pump out there for SBC? I’m Running 327 L79 with stock short pump now. Many say they offer pumps that move 40percent more coolant? Just wondering if anyone has had good or bad luck with certain brands

goldmountain likes this.
  2. Are you having an overheating issue?
    You can move water too fast
    It has to be able to transfer the heat in the radiator.
    I have a stock pump in a 7k pound bus and runs 2OO/210 all day long even parked in traffic

3. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

In the GM style casting, no such thing as a "high volume" pump.
    That would require a larger pump cavity...right ? Then to have a larger pump "cavity", the outside would have to be larger, stands to reason, no such housing, made by anyone in the US that I've ever seen.
    Pumping more water...by decreasing the internal leaks, sure, different impeller design to decrease cavitation, sure.
    Modern electric pumps mostly eliminate the two things I mention above.

Don't run 50/50 antifreeze/water. Antifreeze does not transfer heat very well. Use 25% antifreeze and 75% water. Make sure you have a good thermostat. Make sure you have a properly sized radiator and grill opening to feed it air. A GOOD (properly designed blades) fan goes a long way toward keeping the water cool.

Mike

Hnstray likes this.
  4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I'm using the aluminum water pump from the Chevrolet hi perf catalog on my L79.
    Just don't plan on buying them at Walmart/Pep Boys prices though.
    Note that they have a 3/4" shaft, originals are 5/8", I machined my pulley to accept the larger shaft, these pumps also have both the small and large bolt pattern.
    20170226_145049.jpg

6. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I've used Stewart pumps for years. They are the best. Cruising the fairgrounds in Colorado last weekend in 90+ degree weather my deuce delivery never got over 200 degrees with a Walker Cobra radiator, Stewart pump, shroud and 6 blade fan.

big duece likes this.
  7. I am using the SBC long water pump on my 327/375 HP motor (Rochester FI) in my'40 coupe. Also use a Walker radiator and fan shroud.......runs 180 F all day, in traffic at 90+ F ambient temps.