Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical SBC Rocker Arm ID

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mitchell Rish, Oct 8, 2021.

1. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

First pair converted to normal stud mount. Used my smaller mill and made a table vice mount for my 4 inch grinder. Used a new 4 inch 1/16 thick cutting blade. Made the measurements and started very slowly. The common pair shaft is mounted in the mill collet and use the table/bed and make sure it’s square /level.
    If time is a big deal to you then most won’t want to go this route.
    I simply like the machining processes that I learned. A cutting disc can be used to machine /cut hardened shafts. The photo shows the old grinding disc. I changed to the thin cutting disc. And the fact that the rockers when I am through will be usable. If I couldn’t convert them they are useless anyway.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
    loudbang likes this.
  2. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

So after several hours at the mill and 16 more C clips for the new grooves ( other end need one for each rocker now ) I have a usable complete set for about 15$. Now here are the photos of the jig for the grinder that attached to the bed of my mill. Nothing super hard just had to think a little. The thin 1/16 cutting blade did a wonderful job. And I only used one for every cut or groove. Two grooves and one cut per shaft so that’s 16 grooves and 8 complete cuts. I was shocked I figured I would use at least one per shaft. It is hard enough that no lathe bit that we possess wanted any part of it.
    I am by nature independent and like to stay in house as much as we can.

Attached Files:

loudbang and 427 sleeper like this.
  3. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I guess I'm an old fart. I have never run over a 700 lift deal in a SBC without running a roller cam. So I'm gonna throw this out there. You mentioned not running over 7,000. Jim said he runs stock rockers. I run stock rockers and long slot rocker balls and have twisted my sbc' s to 8,000 and 8,500 with stock rockers. Your results may vary. But when you start questioning rocker assy's and how to set them up ect... you need to step back and think about what you actually need. If your not running mega springs and mega RPM, Btw you will need springs, valves, rockers and pushrods to do, why mess with something (parts wise) your not sure about, if your not going to punish it? Not trying to be an ass. But just trying to let you see another way maybe. JMO. Your results may vary. Super trick ain't always the way to go. Especially when Knowledgeable people tell you they are cheap components to begin with. Lippy:)

1934coupe likes this.
  4. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

And yes I know this has strayed from the original post but that's what we do here lol.

5. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Fair statement. There was more intent than was on the surface. I have always run a roller rocker when I could. This is just one of those things that I had to do.Learned a few things along the way. Iv'e run just about every aftermarket roller rocker out there ( from Harland Sharp to T and D/ and everything in between). Kinda like when everyone said I couldn't put a blower on my six. Or building a competitive racing engine from everyone else's cast offs using only new gaskets - or at least some of them. The hope is more than meets the eye. You stop trying - you stop learning- and then you become dependent on others. Been there / and I am trying to make sure I am never there again. NOW if I can just teach myself to re spline axles- get all my Sioux valve equipment back id be pretty close to getting there. You probobly wont/don't get it and that's Ok. No offence meant or taken.

loudbang and razoo lew like this.
  6. Ericnova72

Ericnova72
    from Michigan

My dad has had a lathe and drill press since I was a little boy, so
    I can get where you're coming from, the challenge of using something/making something from what others would trash or cast off because they either don't have the equipment, the time, or the desire.
    We did it a lot when we were younger, fabbing farm equipment/machinery or race cars/hot rods.

Glad to see you have a good outcome:cool:

loudbang likes this.
  7. loudbang

loudbang

Look great. And sometimes the "Doing" is more satisfying then buying. :)

TA DAD likes this.
  8. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

I was the person you saw waiting at the race tracks at night after everyone left to see what everyone else had thrown away. There were times that we would not have run with out their junk. And no it didn’t always turn out well but I had it bad enough that I wanted to be there even in a no chance to win situation.
    We did bracket racing because it wasn’t about speed. Then as we got better stuff we went faster and left brackets. I guess it was a necessary progression. Or it was mine anyway lol
    Eric and Loudbang thanks for the kind words. I have often said that my farm time on a 276 NewHolland hay bailer / a super 90 massy and a Super C farmall/a fleet of early John deers. ( actually Waterloo engines for those that know them ) and a fleet of farm trucks that should have been scrapped before we even got them home. Add the sawmill that was run by a huge Case multi fuel motor and it’s fair to say I am not afraid to try anything. Used to ride the carriage and set the blocks. We milled most of the lumber that built the barns sheds and shops for our place. And others. Plus as mybDad said we were free labor. Yes I can even calculate how much and how to get the best stuff from each log. And it’s not computer generated lol.
    Spliced a few drive belts along the way and you get the picture.
    The great thing here about the HAMB is when I get a hold of something I haven’t seen I know someone on the board Probably has and can give some insight.
    My father was a man who was pretty straight forward with words and he took no quarter /iron fisted/and could run over a dime and tell wether it was on heads or tails in the road. I understand that it didn’t make sense to some. But I still welcome the opinions and comments.
    Gotta give Squirrel credit. Just because I can doesn’t mean I always should. But I remember when everyone did it this way. There weren’t new parts and money didn’t fix it.
    Probobly time to end this one. Later guys and thanks for the comments and info.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
    Ericnova72 and TA DAD like this.