Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical SBC Pulley problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by el_bole, Jun 22, 2014.

1. el_bole

el_bole

So I am taking a little break from my Olds to wrench on my long term Chevy truck project....

Long story short after searching high and low, even trying to fabricate, for a power steering bracket I found one that would suit my needs. Needed to pull the pulley, enter Harbor Frieght, so I got one and now that I want to put pulley back to its original position it comes off post (its still attached)....day um....So if I tighten puller it seems to want to go back on then gets loose again or if loosen it it just wobbles around on end of post...now I need help from you seasoned hambers......Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated....

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Grahamsc

Grahamsc
    from Colorado

Your post is confusing
    Are you pulling or pushing
    What i see is a puller

3. That's a puller, a specialty removal tool only. Not an installation tool. The installation tool is plain old bolt and a stack of washers use a grade 8.

The center of the ps shaft should be threaded - is it ? Find a bolt that threads into it and push the pulley back on. It's tricky to get it started and real tricky to get it fully seated but its done at least 199 times a day across the country

4. squirrel

squirrel

I have no idea what's going on. Is the picture of you pulling the pulley off? or putting it back on?

To put the pulley on, you only use the bolt and the nut of the puller, you do not use the jaws. They are only for pulling the pulley.

5. Grahamsc

Grahamsc
    from Colorado

Your standard GM ps pump has a 3/8x16 course thread in the center of the shaft

6. just use a BFH

7. Do what post 4 says.

8. My question for You is,,, why is there no water pump shaft extended out past the pump pulley? You need that to keep the fan on center. Without that you have a Lit Fuse.
    The Wizzard

9. There's a lot going on that I don't understand, usually I try to stay just with the question being asked. But since the ice is broken....

I don't see how the pump has any adjustment , its at the end of the slot and reservoir up against bracket. The water pump shaft should extend thru the pulley but there's a fat spacer on top of the flange. Ill guess because the pulley is too deep and hits the pump.

Heres my wag on the entire issue, short shaft pump and nothing to match.
    There's a million sbc running around and a few different systems. each system works on any block but its the entire system. If your having trouble you most likely have a mismatched system.

10. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

The water pump thing is an easy fix. It appears the OP is trying to line up the water pump dual pulley with the crank dual pulley, when in reality the WP pulley only needs to line up with the rear groove on the crank pulley, unless it's getting AC. The PS pulley belt doesn't go around the WP pulley. Wrong parts assembled in a way to attempt to make them work.
    As for the PS adjustment slot; I believe those pull up to tension the belt, not down. So it's sitting correctly, and with the belt on it tensions by raising the pump in the adjustment slot. Going from memory, as it's been awhile since I messed with a SBC PS pump.

11. el_bole

el_bole

Fellas thanks for all the info.....My dum ass thought I could use the puller to put it back on! Okay Okay I got It!!!

Now to answer a few questions, I am going to use the alternator bracket to put tension on ps pump,
    Going to go with electric fan so no fan being mounted on wp, Uh I am sure I missed one of the many questions.....Oh the ps post is none threaded, its smooth. 1971BB427 hit the nail on the head, Thanks bro.......

That's what I love about the HAMB; you ask a question and you get a bunch of other questions to answer LOL(???) But seriously folks thanks!

12. Grahamsc

Grahamsc
    from Colorado

A bolt will do but if you ever want a better installer , this is the best style.
    Couldn't find a name on it

Attached Files:

13. Well that 1 belt system you are working on is why you can't find readily available brackets I guess.

14. so if i understand correctly, you are running the alternator, ps pump, crank and water pump on one belt only? :eek:
    isnt that a bit dangerous? what if the belt fails? sounds like it will be pretty long and may walk off a pulley since it doesnt have continuos tension.
    why not just go with a mono belt serpentine style? its safer and designed to work that way
    just a thought i guess..:D

15. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Don't think there's going to be enough wrap on that power steering pulley to keep it from slipping. Might want to get a long pump and brackets to put the alternator on the passenger side with 2 belts as the factory most likely did it.

Make sure you put a crank bolt in as well.

16. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I'd stay with the factory setup for belt arrangement. One belt for alternator, crank, and water pump. A second belt from crank to PS pump. You'll really need that short pump and tight radius from crank to PS pump to eliminate chance of belt slippage when turning the PS pump.

17. 1934coupe

1934coupe

66-67 Chevy stuff is what you need, I have the set-up but am 3000 mi. away as was said before the PS runs off the rear crank groove and the alt., water pump off the outside groove. All on a short water pump.

Pat

18. squirrel

squirrel

factory short pump mid 60s stuff has the alternator and water pump running off the rear groove, AC on the middle groove, and PS on the front groove. If the car didn't have AC then there's a single groove lower pulley, plus the PS pulley which sticks out a ways, and a gap between them. The lower PS pulley has large holes that "lock" onto extrusions on the main lower pulley.

But that has little to do with what's going on here, which should be interesting when it's all done

19. 1934coupe

1934coupe

You're right, my bad ! Now I remember it was always a hassle to change the alt. belt.

Pat