Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical SBC production numbers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MO54Frank, Jun 9, 2020.

1. MO54Frank

MO54Frank

Is there a database somewhere of how many Small Block Chevy engines have been produced? Such as, ____ 265s, ____ 283s, etc. Did GM maintain those kinds of records? If not actual records are there reasonable estimates?
    For example, how likely am I to find a first-year 265? Thanks.

2. MO54Frank

MO54Frank

3. Register now to get rid of these ads!

4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Actually easier to find than you might think, not much is hard to find, you just need to be willing to pay what the seller is asking.

5. squirrel

squirrel

I don't recall ever seeing production numbers, listed by engine size. I've seen monthly production numbers for cars, but not broken down by engine. There were 1.8 million 55 Chevys built, so there probably were some where around 2 or 3 million 265s.

Sent from my Trimline

1934coupe and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  6. I think it used to be linked to the McDonald’s signs,,,,,,,Billions and Billions served !

Just kidding,,,,,,,but I can’t imagine how many have been built in the last 40 years .
    Before that,,,,,you know before the corporate engines in all GM makes,,,,,there were still many produced,,,just Millions and Millions,,,,LoL .

Tommy

Driver50x likes this.
  7. MO54Frank

MO54Frank

Thanks again.

8. I think perhaps you can look at production numbers for cars for example if you look at production numbers for '55 V8 chevrolets you could make the jump to how many 265 engines were sold in cars in '55. That would not cover engines that were not sold in cars or replacement engines.

GM has had bean counters as long as they have had V8 engines so you should be able to find that information someplace.

9. squirrel

squirrel

the production numbers I've seen list them by month and model, but not by six or V8, unfortunately.

Chevy didn't keep very good records of this stuff, because they didn't know we'd care about it 65 years later.

Moriarity likes this.
  10. If the actual question is more about how hard it would be to find a ‘55 265, seems there are still several out there. I have a buddy that restores 55-57’s and has for probably 40 years. I’m sure he knows where a few are. I think I even tripped across one on Craigslist in the last few days. All the production numbers were pretty high if we are talking SBC’s other than maybe a 302 or something less common.

11. Guess I never cared but I'm happy we haven't run out yet....

12. irishsteve

irishsteve

I see 265"s on craigs list,and face book often.They sit for a long time.Only restorers really want them.

13. redo32

redo32

You got my curiosity up, so I spent a few minutes googling, but didn't find any hard numbers. I did find one article dated 2011 stating the GM would produce it's 100 Millionth small block that year. That included all engines with 4.4 bore spacing which means the ls engines from 1997 on were included. With no hard number available I averaged the yearly production and subtracted the ls years and come up with approximately 80 million mouse motors. Add in the crate motor production and you've got a heck of a lot SBC.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.