Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods sbc -pcv location.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51Hg, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Parts48

Parts48
    from Tucson, Az
    1. Hot Rod Veterans

That's my understanding also...and has been what I've done for a lot of years..

2. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Sorry Tommy. Gotta call BS on you.

"In 1952, Professor A. J. Haagen-Smit, of the California Institute of Technology at Pasadena, postulated that unburned hydrocarbons were a primary constituent of smog, and that gasoline powered automobiles were a major source of those hydrocarbons. After some investigation by the GM Research Laboratory (Dr. Lloyd L. Withrow) it was discovered in 1958 that the road draft tube was a major source, about half, of the hydrocarbons coming from the automobile. GM's Cadillac Division, which had built many tanks during WWII, recognized that the simple PCV valve could be used to become the first major reduction in automotive hydrocarbon emissions. After confirming the PCV valves' effectiveness at hydrocarbon reduction, GM offered the PCV solution to the entire U.S. automobile industry, royalty free, through its trade association, the Automobile Manufacturers Association (AMA). In the absence of any legislated requirement, the AMA members agreed to put it on all California cars voluntarily in the early 1960s, with national application following one year later."

It very much IS a pollution control. It actually operates in two directions. One way at idle, the other way at high throttle positions, assuming you have the breather end in the air cleaner close to intake stream.

3. Here's how I did it with cal custom finned valve covers and Moon breathers. I have a breather on each valve cover but the one with the PCV valve is sealed off so it is not a breather just a place to plug in the pcv valve.

Attached Files:

4. 51Hg

51Hg

alot of good info here..but just out of curiosity what does this set up on the mooneyes roadster do? is it a vacuum pump set-up? I saw this at b-ville this year and it caught my attention.

There are two bungs welded into the ends of each valve cover and lines going to a little tank that has a breather on it. one line is disconnected and the guy is holding it in one pic.

the last pic is just trying to be artsifartsi of the potvin name.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  5. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

When California first started the use of the PCV valve to REPLACE THE ROAD DRAFT TUBE it got branded as only a pollution control and not necessary or desirable for a hot rod engine. Anything that got branded a pollution control was considered detrimental to a hotrod engine. It's main purpose like the road draft tube is to remove the harmful gasses and condensation that produces sludge in the engine. When I say it is not a pollution control, I mean that unlike the catalytic converter and the AIR system whose only purpose is to reduce emissions, the PCV system does a lot more than reduce emissions. They changed the ventilating system to a system that produced less emissions.

I know it's semantics but there is a difference in my mind. You can remove the AIR system and converters with no detrimental effects but removing the PCV system is harmful to an engine.

6. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED