Register now to get rid of these ads!

SBC optimal tempurature

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 64sled, Aug 19, 2010.

1. 64sled

64sled

Hey guys
    Question is what do think the optimal running temperature should be for a small block Chevy be ?

i have a 66 c-10 with a 350 running at 160-170 degrees and some UTI drop out said that it was running way to cold :mad:

Opinions please :cool:

2. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

You will get as many different answers on this as there are HAMBERS :eek:

But I have mine running 195 degree thermostats ... and that is what the engine temperatures run. I do have a 4 core Walker, a shroud and a big mechanical belt driven fan.

All the Chevrolet crate engines I have ever bought or been around came with a 195 thermostat. The NASCAR engine builders say that engines make more HORSEPOWE and get better mileage at the 200 / 210 temperature range. My new Chevrolet Silverado and my wifes new Cadillac DTS both run in the 205/210 temperature range ... so I would agree with the guy ... 160 is too cool.

The oil will lubricate better ... and not have water moisture at 180/190 as much as it does at 160.

3. Eryk

Eryk

Yeah Tony, you don't want your engine running that cold. Its actually pretty bad for it. The oil can't heat up enough to reach maximum lubrication, so theres alot of friction at those cooler temps. Optimal temp is around 190. Some say between 190 and 220. Change your thermostat to a 195 and you should be good to go.

Dude, why didn't you ask on our board? Your club brothers do know some shit too, ya know. ;) Haha.

4. sir

sir

I have the same set up you have and a 180 deg stat and it runs perfectly.....

Attached Files:

5. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Check your gage.....they're not always super accurate.

6. wristpin

wristpin

isn't it true that whatever temp thermostat you run just opens at that temp , then
    picks up about 20, 30 degrees from there. i have a 160 thermostat in my sbc 400 motor, it opens at 160 then runs all day long @ 195. been like that for 3 or more years. even in this 100 degree heat wave we are going thru now she runs 195 during the heat of the day and 175 180 at night. ain't nothin wrong with that!

7. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

That is because ... the 160 is OPEN ... all the time ( after reaching operating temperature ) :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

IF ... you had a 180, it might only go to 180 ... maybe not.
    IF you have a very efficent cooling system ... and a properly tuned engine ... it will run on the thermostat.

Now I know that 400 SBC do tend to run a little warmer sometimes but I had a 400 SBC ( bored .030 over = 406 ) in a 1970 El Camino ( factory 454 big block ELKY ) and it ran 180 with a 180 thermostat. The ELKY had a big 4 core radiator, a factory shoud and a big clutch fan :D It would run 150/160 with no thermostat.

8. slimpick

slimpick

160 degree thermostat is for drag racing. It is to keep the manifold as cool as possible. Like the posts above said, your engine will wear slightly more. It is not the "optimal" temperature to run at.

BTW, if your water temp is higher than your thermostat, some other factor or factors is in play. ie, not enough air through the radiator, not enough cores or area in your radiator, build up of scale in your 40 year old radiator, etc, etc...

9. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

Lower temp = more power

Higher temp = better efficiency (gas mileage) and longer life (unless it's hot enough to cause detonation or scorch the oil).

10. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

I run at 190 degrees, and the engine runs great at that temp. Currently I don't have a fan shroud or electric fan, so when I sit in traffic on a hot day, the engine warms up rather quickly. When it starts pushing 210, you can tell the engine starts to struggle.

My 2004 Yukon runs at 210 degrees all day long. Not sure what the difference is... Fuel injection vs. carburation?

11. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Check your gauge before you change anything, I agree with most of the opinions but it could be your gauge.

12. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

port injection is less effected by higher manifold temps. You have a plastic intake anyway. plus the LS is a studly motor.

13. 64sled

64sled

Thanks guys, i guess i'll install a 190 thermostat in there and cruise.

And Eryk, the UTI drop out i was talking about was little eric haha

Can't always believe what he's screaming about haha