Register now to get rid of these ads!

sbc oil pressure sending uNIT ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 54FISH, Jun 9, 2013.

1. 54FISH

54FISH

HELLO , ALRIGHT , ON SBC's THE OIL PRESSURE SENDER IS ON THE BACK BY THE DISTRIBUTOR . ALL I CAN FIND IS BRASS TO MOUNT SENDER , BUT HEAR VIBRATION CRACKS EM' . SO I STARTED LOOKING FOR STAINLESS FITTINGS 1/8 NPT STRAIGHT AND 1/8 NPT FEMALE 45 DEGREE . HERS MY ? , SOMEONE MENTIONED THAT CAMARO'S ( DON;T KNOW WHAT YEAR OR ENGINE ) HAVE A BILLET RELOCATOR FOR OIL PRESSURE SENDER , REAL CLEAN LOOK ??? I CAN'T FIND ANYTHING ON THIS , ANYONE HEAR OF THIS ADAPTER??? OR HAVE ANY THOUGHTS ? THANKS GUYS

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred

BRASS HAS WORKED FOR YEARS. I'VE NEVER SEEN A STAINLESS ONE. DID YOU TRY A GOOGLE SEARCH FOR COMPANIES?

Why the caps?

3. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If your using a stock sender they're tall enough to clear the intake (the warning light ones at least). On my cars I run the autometer sending unit for the warning light and I use a brass adapter to clear the intake, it's been fine for 20 years.

4. 54FISH

54FISH

they were just on , sounds like i mean business huh ? nah not the best typer . did try google , looking for stainless fittings , unless i can find billet adapter . thanks

5. 54FISH

54FISH

the sender i'm using is the 100 lb. classic instruments sender , looks like a big bell ( oldskool look) . i am using their all american gauge set & was basically told , use the sending units they send with kit , gauges & senders have correct ohm combination .

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can't see where there would be any vibration that would bother a brass fitting in that area unless the engine was moving enough for the sending unit to hit the firewall. overzealous tightening is usually what damages a brass fitting in any location.

You could also use an 1/8 pipe nipple and 1/8 x 1/8 female 90 and get it at any height you wanted to with brass, steel or stainless fittings.

7. 325w

325w
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

GM did use some of those taller fittings. They were not stainless just shiny cad plated. PM me next week around Thursday and I'll look in my junk. Did have one. You can have it for the shipping if I still have it.

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One In the past on a rig that had a light and the owner wanted a mechanical gauge I have used a pipe nipple long enough to get up to where I could put a T on top of it and put the sending unit for the light on one side and the tube for the gauge on the other. Someone does make a fitting to do the same thing though.

I can't remember what the fitting that 325W mentioned came on but I have seen and used them in the past. One that I remember placed the sending unit at a 45 degree angle to the top of the block to clear something.

9. Never had a brass one break from use, just from hitting them.

10. Try to find the ones that came on your 305 & 350 TBI motors that came in the 90-93 year Chevy and GMC trucks. They work good and should be easy to find in your local yards. You could either use them as electrical or manual and they screw right down in the block and are about three inches tall and have a ninety at the top.

11. DoubleJ52

DoubleJ52
    from Belton, MO

The adapters you are looking for were used in 93-97 F bodies with the LT-1 engine. They actually used two screwed together and they are 90 degrees.

12. 54FISH

54FISH

Sounds like the one Double , F it ! Goin with brass , if it breaks ,it breaks . thanks for all the feedback !