Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical SBC oil pan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ron Brown, Jun 24, 2021.

1. 6sally6

6sally6

Yep!!!.....it's gotta be clean (no oil/no film);) I agree doing it with the engine still in the car is wayyy harder.
    6sally6

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  2. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Update....after 3, top of the line, pan gaskets, both with and without gasket maker and 2 rear main seals, Felpro dual lip, I decided to bite the bullet and order a new pan....Milodon gold anodized steel...this pan is pricey but is much heavier (gauge) than the aftermarket pan that was on the car....and a Milodon pan gasket......20 mile sprint down the highway and back.............NO leaks whatsoever.....pricey but took care of the issue, 100%. Thanks for all the ideas guys, this one had me scratching my head...never had a pan leak before (my background is in Mopar).....

3. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This isn't a bad way to go for those problem child jobs now and then. I suggest also a cheap investment into making it easy to pull off. Get 4 longer socket head (allen) bolts to use as studs and put a pair on each side to act as guides and preserve the seal bead as it's raised into it's final set. Something like 1" ought to work and plain ol 1/4-20 nuts will finish the job. Sound like I've done it too? I even do it with gasket and Permatex jobs. Too lazy to hold it place and start bolts:cool:

4. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah ...the Felpro gaskets I used had 4 blue studs, one for each corner that had snap shoulders on them...slid pan and gasket up into place and these studs held everything in place AND the pan up against the block while you got all the bolts started.....way handy

theHIGHLANDER likes this.