Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical SBC oil pan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ron Brown, May 30, 2021.

1. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am tired of fighting oil pan leaks so I am going to buy a new oil pan....the pan I have takes the "thick" gasket....can I use a pan made for the "thin" gasket on this engine...are the pans interchangeable just by changing which gasket I use? Also...any suggestions on a good after market pan? should I stick with stamped steel or change to a cast aluminum pan?

Last edited: May 30, 2021
  2. squirrel

squirrel

If you use an old original pan and timing cover, in good condition, with the one piece gasket, then you should not have leak problems. The replacements are not made as well as the originals.

but we don't know what you have now.

3. 2935ford

2935ford

From what I have been through and not knowing the differences......first I bought a new Speedway pan for my 60's 283. 3 piece thick gasket onto the thin timing cover.....leak......then thin gasket on same......leak......then realized what was needed and repaired the original pan and thin gasket........some adjusting.......no leaks.

427 sleeper likes this.
  4. Fogger

Fogger

Easy to determine which pan gasket you need. With a straight edge across the front of the pan the distance from the top of the pan to the radius where the gasket fits will be either 2 1/4" or 2 3/8". That will determine the gasket. I agree with squirrel, that factory pans seem to fit better than the after market. I too have had numerous leaks from after market pans.

427 sleeper likes this.

5. AHotRod

AHotRod

^^^^ ... as Jim said, Bingo !

I worked for Fel Pro Performance for 25+ years, you would be shocked how far from S.A.E. specifications the aftermarket timing covers and pans are.

Driver50x and 427 sleeper like this.
  6. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree with the other's. The factory tin may not look the best to some people, but it works the best in most cases. Sometimes you gotta go with what work's instead of what looks cool. I too, had the same problem with aftermarket oil pans and timing covers.

7. Country Joe

Country Joe

A member once posted this picture. I'm just passing it along.
    OilPanSealMeasure640.jpg

8. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I wouldn't use anyone's aluminum pan today, unless you can find a nice old used aluminum pan. All the new stuff is garbage.
    I bought a chrome pan for my 1990 SBC 350, as it came without a pan. I was stuck, and needed something quickly. Surprisingly it was inexpensive, and came with a one piece gasket. I installed it almost a year ago, and pleasantly surprised it's still dry as a bone.

9. I got an offshore Chevy II pan for my swap, we used to grab them at the Chevy dealers for $28. This was the only one I could find and came with the motor mounts, pump, etc. What a POS... I had it for a year before I really looked at it.

I had to braze up a couple of cracked corners. I relocated the drain (used a Canton bung) but should have welded up the OG plus, which is now seeping and inaccessible. I put it down on a surface plate at a machine shop and got the rails straight.

One tip I picked up.. too late for me... after the pan is on and torqued, run a bead of silicon sealer around the pan/gasket interface. It will cut down on leaks.