Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical sbc oil bypass adapter

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by thompsonwayne1, Nov 6, 2013.

1. thompsonwayne1

thompsonwayne1

Hello, I'm new here. I've got a 27 T roadster with a 283 Chevy in it. I'm installing a beehive oil filter on the firewall and bought an oil filter bypass from speedway motors # 720-1018. This replaces the old filter inside the canister that I have. Researched the motor # and it's 1963 manufacture.
    Anyway this bypass has 2 one half inch pipe thread holes in it, one in the middle and one on the edge.
    I don't know which one is supply and which one is return. Called speedway and got a "we're pretty sure" answer but would like a second opinion.
    Also, I don't know the history of this engine and it goes through a qt of oil about every 600 miles. I never see smoke under any conditions and it leaks a few drops but not that much.
    There is a hose from the rear top of the engine (breather, I guess ) that goes to a vacuum fitting on the manifold, and I wonder if this might have something to do with it?
    Thanks, Wayne

2. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  3. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

The center would be the return from the remote filter.
    The hose is the PCV hose but not likly the oil consumption problem.
    I had a 327 in a 63 that burned oil that I could not see untill I was wearing some polarize sun glasses and I could see the smoke foging out the back.
    I had to rebuild the thing the ring lands were worn out had the pistons cut for spacers.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is a diagram on here (second one down) that shows the oil passages in a SBC. http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/192284/

I'm thinking that the offset hole is your pressure from the pump hole to run the line to the filter and the center hole is to run the line from the filter. I guess you could put the adapter on, stick a drain pan under it an get someone to hit the starter or oil pump primer while you watched to see which hole it did come out of. It would take about a second to be able to say "yup that's the outlet" and five minutes to clean up the oil if it misses the drain pan.

The guys who posted above didn't really read your question all the way through and that is why their answers are a bit off base.

5. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

I did read the question, just figured the op wasn't aware of the bolt on adapters. They are pretty fool proof because I don't have any issues with mine.

6. thompsonwayne1

thompsonwayne1

Thanks guys, your answers are the same as speedway so I'll get it hooked up

7. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

The hose to the vacuum on the manifold is pcv system if you don't have ports on your valve covers or in your oil fill tube. I get some oil in mine too but not a huge amount.