Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical SBC new rebuild & 75 psi oil pressure with a drill

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, May 28, 2020.

1. southcross2631

southcross2631

I just primed the oil pump and prelubed the engine with the 10w30 that I am going to break in the engine with and it reads 65 lbs spinning it with a cordless drill.
    It is a small block Ford with a std Melling pump. Never needed anything more than std pump if you do you need to check your assembly.
    Some engines require high oil pressure. Like the 500 Caddy that built years ago. It idled at 70 lbs and ran about 85 at high rpm's. It bothered me so I pulled the pan and looked at the bearings. They were happy and all I was out was a pan gasket and some time. The engine ran for years like that in an O/T Malibu.

2. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

SBFs do use a gerotor pump which is slightly more efficient in pumping, but it is more prone to damage and locking up if debris is in between the gears. Newer engines all mostly use a gerotor type pump, usually driven directly off the crank. These are also better at pumping viscous(cold) oil.
    SBCs use an external gear system. Not as efficient but are not prone to locking up from dirt and debris intrusion.

blowby likes this.
  3. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Sounds like you got one helluva drill though.......:D

Last edited: May 30, 2020
  4. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

By the time my SBF reaches 2000 rpm the oil pressure is at 70# and around 4500 rpm starts to climb and levels off at 85# at 5500 rpm. Idle is about 50# at 1000 rpm..Since 1971, about 50k miles, some were pretty hard. Used to take it to 7000 rpm when I raced it and then "they" started making those heavy duty hex drives and I said oh shit but it hasn't "pretzeled" the original one. Maybe gauge is off. :rolleyes: :D ..

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  5. Follow up,
    35 psi at idle

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  6. Gman0046

Gman0046

It would be a messy ordeal adjusting the lifters with that high oil pressure.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
  7. Secret squirrel racing prepped parts.
    I think the guy must have worked at berzinski racing or something similar.