Register now to get rid of these ads!

SBC mystery knock

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29hotrod55kustom, Feb 21, 2010.

1. 29hotrod55kustom

29hotrod55kustom

hey fella's, i got an issue in the engine in the 55. so first off, some background, its a crate goodwrench sbc, miles unknown. i started it up a couple weeks ago and the damn thing started ticking. i thought it was just a little lifter noise as it was a little cold out. anyhow, so i have been trying to figure out the noise. it now will not make the noise when started cold, it will begin making this knock after about 10 minutes of driving and will progressively get a little bit louder and initially only under load (at idle, in drive) after about 20 minutes. damndest thing is it wont ALWAYS do it in neutral or park often times it just subsides or gets quite enough that it is no longer audible, only after driving the car for quite some time, will it finally persistently do it in park or drive. the knock will become more rapid and speed up and down with the RPM's, and like when leaving a stop light when the RPM's climb rapidly the noise will speed up with the RPM, as the knock increases in rapidity it almost becomes a whine

so what is it? spun rod bearing? main bearing? doesn't sound like water pump.. i pulled the valve cover on the passenger side (the side where the noise seemed to be coming from) and watched the valve train, and all rocker arms seemed to be moving in equality so i'm thinking it is not in the valve train. IM BAFFLED!!! any body experience this before? any clues as to what this bastard knock is?!

thanks for your help guys

-Jr

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  2. Master of None

Master of None

Wrist pin? It will make noise when the motor is at temp if you have a problem.

3. NM Sandrail

NM Sandrail
    Member Emeritus

Hi Jr,
    I had a 283 in a '67 Impala Sport Coupe and it had a crazy little knock too. Found it with a piece of rubber hose...and it was the fuel pump, up front. Just a thought... Old piece of hose can come in handy for some noises. Good Luck...duane

4. yes , i once had a strange tick that came and went in a sbc .....it was from the fuel pump too

5. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

I have the same knock on my 283. I think it is the fuel pump rod. Drove it to Chicago from L.A. and more. No trouble yet.

6. Joes50

Joes50

When it's making the noise at idle, start pulling plug wires and when the sound goes away you found the rod that's giving off the noise.

7. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

wife's 55 did this for quite a while--early 327--drove it like that for a long time--thought it was a lifter or something--changed fuel pump and rod as a piece of hose led me there--end of knock

8. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Mine use to break the spring on the fuel pump arm. Also a cracked piston skirt will make a weird noise also. Lippy

9. 29hotrod55kustom

29hotrod55kustom

hmmm a whole new world of possibilities, i will grab a hose and start tracking around the fuel pump.. any other common knocks that begin AFTER warm up??? weirdest damn thing.

10. There are many things that can cause such a noise;a bad harmonic balancer for one.I had this problem on my 55 Pontiac and it sounded for all the world like it was coming from the fuel pump.Drove me crazy!Is your balancer a press on on held in with a bolt?If a bolt check to make sure it is still there.If a press on,check the belt alignment to make sure it hasn't walked out.
    Another can be(very rarely)a broken crankshaft.A friend of mine had a 327 that developed a slight knocking sound that would come and go.Finally tore down the engine and found that the crank(forged)had broken at the #1 journal and the only thing holding it together was the unevenness of the break.

11. ground pounder

ground pounder
    from ontario

broken flex plate..happens all the time to gm's

12. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

AHH yes, broken flexplate, I should know that one my 79 chev p.u. has one ticking now!! Also loose convertor bolts will do it too, it's more of a knock though.from the bolt deal. Yep, can be a lot of things. Try to isolate it I guess. Lippy

13. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

ground pounder

lippy<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_4935709", true); </SCRIPT>

I was going to say the same thing as theses two guys....

so my vote is !!!!!!!

14. 29hotrod55kustom

29hotrod55kustom

yeaaaa, this looks like its really not going to be easy to deduce. just to make sure i adjusted the rocker arms right.. to adjust with hydraulics you bring the cylinder to TDC, tighten the rocker arm then back it of 2 turns correct? just want to make sure i did not over tighten them before i take the car out today.

15. 29hotrod55kustom

29hotrod55kustom

now, a would a broken flywheel only knock after the car is warm? i honestly dont know, but seems like it would be all the time, then again, you guys have the experience not me.

16. fearnoevo

fearnoevo
    from Iowa

as mentioned mech fuel pump can make all kinds of racket.

# 1 rod on sbc chevy is a notorious trouble maker, last one in line for the oil, run er a bit low and bye bye. That said, I have had sbc's with a weak #1 rod go for as long as I wanted them too, as long as I kept making sure it had plenty of oil.

My bet is #1 wrist pin

17. 29hotrod55kustom

29hotrod55kustom

also, just to make sure i did not over tighten the rocker arms, the correct way to tighten with hyraulics is to bring the cylinder to tdc, tighten the rocker arm down, then back it off 2 turns correct?

18. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

This sounds wrong to me.

19. fearnoevo

fearnoevo
    from Iowa

20. sdluck

sdluck

No that is not correct,bring up to tdc on comp tighten to 0 lash then down 1/2 turn.Some say 1 turn some say 1/4 turn.This should get you in the ball park

21. fearnoevo

fearnoevo
    from Iowa

as long as he hasn't already collapsed em by setting them too tight

22. 29hotrod55kustom

29hotrod55kustom

yea, see the way i had always been told to do it is to start the engine, loosen the rocker till it starts ticking then slowly turn it down till the ticking stops, is that about right?

23. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

I would watch the oil pressure closely, if it don't have a direct pressure guage I'd put one on. Then I would take the oil filter apart every hundred miles or so and see if it's making metal.

24. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

With the lifters full of oil this is probably not the most accurate way to adjust the rocker arms. I usually loosen the rocker until there is some play in the pushrod (ie, you can wiggle the pushrod very slightly. This play indicates that the lifter plunger is all the way at the top of the lifter. Then I tighten the rocker arm until the play is just barely gone gone, and give it another 3/4 turn.

Doing it the way you describe, if the lifter doesn't bleed down quickly, you may well end up with too much clearance.

Yes, this is another way to do it, although likely much messier. If you do it this way, loosen until it clicks, then tighten until the clicking is gone, then give it another 1/2 to 3/4 turn. This should get the lifter preload pretty much where it needs to be.

25. Dan57

Dan57

To avoid the mess of adjusting valves with the engine running, you can cut the top middle section out of an old valve cover. then bolt it on while adjusting the valves. old trick i learned from my pops.

26. Make it 4 votes for flexplate.I'd pull the flexplate cover and have a peek. sometimes you can see a hairline crack around the crank bolts.

27. The Hank

The Hank
    from CO

Check the big brain on Dan!!
    A FNG with a good idea!!

Just kidding Dan , that is a good idea though , I will use it in the future.

28. 29hotrod55kustom

29hotrod55kustom

ok so i was remembering half right.. almost.. haha i will go back through them before i take off.. any thing else as far as the knock goes? easy ways to diagnose (other than the hose trick)?

29. The Hank

The Hank
    from CO

A long screw driver is ok for listening to sounds. Place it around the motor to help locate the noise. [ metal tip on the motor , ear to the handle ]

30. Dan57

Dan57

long screwdriver works. or you could use a mechanics stethoscope.