Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical SBC Motor smoking mystery

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Scumdog, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Scumdog

Scumdog

Hi All, I know generally only God knows what's wrong with a motor before it's pulled down

But here goes; got an '8Os' OT truck with sbc, possibly a 305.

On start up cold it runs great, then after 45 seconds or so it starts smoking out of the right hand tail-pipe, a bit on the left side too but not that noticeable.

As the motor warms up the smoke really pours out of the tailpipes, just about all out of the right hand one - which also 'puffs' a bit.

Disconnecting the hose that runs from the passenger side valve cover to the air filter sees fumes/smoke puffing out of that hose.

Going down a long hill sees no (visible) smoke behind the truck but going back up it looks like a crop-duster plane is going up the road, smoke everywhere!

Points of note: the po has overfilled the oil - but not by much, maybe 3/8th inch, compressions all within 10lb but lower than the Haynes manual says they should be, motor runs great hot or cold.

Any ideas before I tear it down - or fit another motor?

2. BJR

BJR

Bad oil rings is my guess.

3. It sounds like it’s plain worn out

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. 32v

32v
    from v.i.

is it auto or standard

Baumi likes this.

5. Scumdog

Scumdog

My suspicion too, 57Fargo - possibly even damage to a piston on the passenger side as evidenced by the 'puffs' of smoke on a regular basis.

6. Scumdog

Scumdog

It's auto TH350

7. How much lower ?
    You could do a leakdown test as well.
    And this sounds like a great candidate for a new crate engine.

Truckdoctor Andy and 427 sleeper like this.
  8. Overfilled oil will cause one to smoke like you described.
    Usually has to be way over,,,but try draining some of it out to take that from the equation.

Tommy

427 sleeper likes this.
  9. 32v

32v
    from v.i.

check 6 and 8 plug for fouling
    if they are check modulater valve

bchctybob likes this.
  10. Deuces

Deuces

Valve seals need replaced?????.......

11. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Just drive it in 45 second bursts. :)

If it's puffing out the breather hose, and the PCV valve is working, you got worn out rings.

427 sleeper likes this.
  12. sdluck

sdluck

Older 305 and 350 had a problem sucking oil from the valley side of the intake manifold.replace intake gasket look for oil in the intake ports

13. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

14. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

15. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I agree with Tommy, drain the oil down to the proper level, but sounds like bad rings to me. Your results may vary. Lippy

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  16. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Might as well do like sdluck says, your gonna have the intake off anyway. Lippy

17. Pull valve covers and ensure drain-back holes aren't plugged. Easy check.

X-cpe likes this.
  18. Scumdog

Scumdog

Yep, that's the plan, I have heard of this issue with the intake gasket not sealing the bottom of the ports, even saw it on an episode of Fantom Works.

19. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

If the intake gaskets were sucking in oil it would happen under high vacuum, like going downhill, like valve guides, I think.

20. Budget36

Budget36

Seems like blow by to me, but if you feel it runs fine, then weigh the cost of carrying some oil vs pulling the engine and having it rebuilt.

21. Scumdog

Scumdog

Ahem, when I said it smokes it SMOKES!!

Backing into the workshop fills it so full of smoke that it looks like SWAT has paid a visit.

Budget36 likes this.
  22. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Check if you´ve got a bad vacuum modulator on your th350. You might aswell be sucking ATF into the intake manifold. I had that happen and the engine smoked after warm up I couldn´t see anything in my rearview miror. Easy fix though.

23. Evidence of trans modulator sucking oil would be a loss of trans fluid without noticeable puddles.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  24. Yes,,,,and transmission fluid smokes like a freight train!

Tommy

25. What can you easily get in New Zealand?

Rebuild kits, pistons, and machine work or junk yard SBC, or new crate motors?

That truck probably has the better of the 305 heads.

26. What he said...

27. And when it’s blowing smoke out of the breathers/valvecovers as well as the tail pipe with the cranking compression even across all 8 but “lower” than the printed manual specs,,,,
    That pretty much condemned the engine.

If a leakdown test were performed my suspicions would be results relatively equal reading across all 8 cylinders but percentages too high.

We’ve got no history provided. And ALL of the rings could be mysteriously stuck or it could be a good engine that worked hard and evenly till the end of its useful life and now needs a rebuild.

As far as being over full,,, if it’s smoking that bad it would not be over full for too long and in need of more oil soon.

Really no mystery here other than the actual reading from the compression test that’s lower than manual specs.

28. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

How many miles are on it?

29. X-cpe

X-cpe

If it's the modulator, the smoke tends to be bluer than engine oil.

30. Seconded. Back when I didn't have two pennies to rub together, I bought a cheap 88 C1500 with a 305 as a daily. Smoked just like you described.

My boss, at the machine shop I worked at at the time, suggested I pop the valve covers and make sure the oil drain-back holes weren't completely sludged up. Sure as shit, they were.

I carefully dug all the crap out with a coat hanger, and also cleaned the rest of the crap that was laying in there. Must have gone through all the shop rags I had.

Changed the oil, put it all back together and the smoking went away. Fix only cost the price of valve cover gaskets and an oil change. Ran the truck for 3 more years until it spun a bearing.

It's worth a look.