Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical SBC motor mounts in a 40 Ford

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dan Hay, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Nah, I didn't take that the wrong way, I need to get on that... I designed this build around the tools and skills I currently have. I'll cut my welding teeth on the floorboards.

Thanks!

Small blocks in early Fords are traditional. Sorry for being a killjoy.

Did you have to use the "C" spacers they recommend?

Hombre likes this.
  2. chadhollem

chadhollem

yes used every thing in there kit

3. gonzo

gonzo

When I put a Chevy motor in my first 40 Ford I used a front dump exhaust manifold that looked like the one one top of this photo, on the left side of the motor. This dumped the exhaust in front of the steering box. I also used a Hurst mount with the c shaped spacers that came with it, electric fuel pump, dropped axle, generic adapter and stock driveline. Thing ran pisser, good luck!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  4. I thought about these 265? manifolds, but I think they'll be restrictive on a 3.5" stroked 327 ;) (350)

5. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

I used the 265 Chev manifolds but ported them out to match the 350 heads.My exhaust pipes are 1.75" .Bone stock motor runs just fine.

6. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

".....the lower radiator hose is a bit testy on the install...."

Rod n Custom,

Just FYI - I found on my '36/327 with a short water pump, that a '57 Chevy lower hose fits perfectly.
    -Bob

olscrounger likes this.
  7. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Have you seen this site? You might like it.
    http://www.fordbarn.com/

8. Brokenwrench Rod n Custom

Brokenwrench Rod n Custom
    from East TN.

Aww come on.... Thats why they made more than one 40 ford. so we can all have one the way we want it..... Dont get me wrong I love a 40 ford with a flathead mill, preferably a stroked merc with edmunds heads and intake.... But in the case of my 40... going back flathead would be like buying milners deuce and putting fenders back on it!

"gotta love all the kids... even the red headed step kids"

Atwater Mike likes this.
  9. Brokenwrench Rod n Custom

from East TN.

These manifolds are very simular to the 305 malibu units. but no heat riser.

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

10. Brokenwrench Rod n Custom

from East TN.

Im not sure who they are made by as I didnt install them. They were put on the car in 1965 when it was first modified for street duty. They seem to be made for the car and not something that has been repurposed. heres a couple more pics of the headers and the collector ends too.

Attached Files:

11. 4rod

4rod

Like I said I don't want to dis your build, you have an incredible car, just it's what's inside that rubs me the wrong way. Look, it's like tight jeans on a heavier pair of legs and hips...it just doesn't look, or fit right... I'm done an will stop the hijack
    Good luck

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here are some pix of my mech fuel pump clearance and mount for sbc in a 40. Also a couple pix showing the space available with a 525 saginaw box using CE adapters and engine mounts. Notice the left mount is closer to the cross member to allow for the exhaust. The truck manifold already mentioned will work.

Attached Files:

olscrounger likes this.
  13. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

I originally wanted to use a Hurst mount on my '36 but because of the fuel pump issue went with side mounts...only to discover that a stock GM still won't fit because of the crossmember. I did not want to alter the crossmember so I went with an electric pump, which I'm not crazy about.
    Recently I came across a mechanical pump at Summit that I can clock to relocate the fittings and I'm pretty sure it'll fit correctly.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    On the exhaust..?? I had an exhaust guy look at the tight fit and he said "can't be done...use 265 manifolds that dump at the front". I didn't want that so I just made the connector myself....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And yes....I straightened the flange and replaced that crusty donut....:)

gonzo and 47ragtop like this.
  14. Joel and Rich, those are some great detail shots, very helpful!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rich,
    I'd be very interested to see how the "clocked" fuel pump works out for you with the Hurst engine mount.
    Thanks,
    Bob

16. Brokenwrench Rod n Custom

from East TN.

good shots and some DAMN good looking pipework!

17. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

I'm OK with the side mounts so I won't be changing them. But I am planning on installing the mechanical pump this winter. As with others, the issue will be interference with the crossmember, which I think this pump will resolve.

It may not happen for another month, but I'll make sure I PM you or at least bring this thread back up with the results.

18. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I Like those. Thanks

19. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I like the way you did that pipe.

20. Aquaroscoe

Aquaroscoe

it wasn't obvious, but have you determined your steering box selection yet, cuz it changes some things. If using the original, then the center dump hugger should be ok, but if you are going with the GM 525 type, then you kinda need to do as Kan describes. Weedeater I think has the pipe pre-bent. watch the clearance to the box, you basically have exhaust baking the fluids in the box.

Cutting the frame and adding the re-enforcement isn't that difficult, better than listening to the constant rattling of the pump, JMO

I like what Joel did, I was just too lazy to measure that accurate on the crossmember

You might measure an installation with a 200R4/TH350 also, just in case you sometime wanted to explore more robust options on the trans side at a later time and want to try to optimize motor locations now for both setups.

olscrounger likes this.
  21. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The front fender Vee-bar must have the crossbar reinforcement removed with an SBC install.
    A late 50s Chevy/GMC six truck fuel pump is still available new and can be clocked to change the in-out port locations. You must drill out the mounting bolt holes to the V8 bolt size though.

22. ^^^^^Good tip on the pump^^^^^
    Thanks!

23. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

my 36 had an sbc installed in 59, with a hurst pump and they notched the crossmember then. I run an electric pump now.

I use the CE side mounts, with 2 inch striaght rams horns and a set of pipes pre bent from WEDETR Street Rods to clear my vega box. I can snap a pic when i get home if you like.

24. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I got my motor and trans in now with the CE side mounts and stock steering gear. It seems to me that with ram horns or some type of center dump block hugger header there is plenty of room to work exhaust thru there. My problem is that I've built a pretty serious 383 and don't want to kill the performance by putting restrictive manifolds on there. I'm also considering fenderwell headers if I can get them back under the car for full length exhaust. here are a couple pics for future reference in the side mounts vs. the Hurst type mount.

Attached Files:

25. Thanks for the update. I think fenderwells would be cool, the 40 seems to be made for that kind of header.

26. 31Apickup

31Apickup

I read somewhere some time ago that a stock fuel pump for a 58 Chevy will clear the cross member, the fittings are in a different position. I have not verified this.

27. Rusty

Rusty

I have stock steering, Sanderson mid length headers, and side motor mounts, electric fuel pump, but plan on fixing my crossmember to be able to run a mechanical if needed.

28. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I put my fuel pump on today and took a couple pics. I think Rich has the right idea with the other pump, It might just clear without notching the cross member. You can see in these pics there is plenty of clearance with the notch. I also went with the Sanderson headers that angle forward on the drivers side but they haven't arrived yet.

Attached Files:

29. manyolcars

manyolcars

I do mine exactly like this

30. geoford41

geoford41
    from Delaware

If you need the Pickup exhaust manifold I have one I used on my 41 pickup and was a spare.
    PM geoford41 for pics and $

duncan likes this.