Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical SBC motor mounts in a 40 Ford

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dan Hay, Dec 27, 2013.

1. I have searched this topic and have been reading up on this for the past several hours, but I still have clarifying questions... a little background first. It's a 40 Ford with dropped axle, putting in an SBC with wilcap adapter to the stock trans and torque tube.

I have a set of Chassis Engineering side mounts because I thought that would allow me to run a mechanical fuel pump. I read that the crossmember would need to be notched for this... can anyone confirm or deny?

Also, the side mounts could cause exhaust routing issues on the driver's side due to the steering box... I suppose I could use block huggers, but ram horns look more trad..

So... with all that information, I'm leaning towards a hurst mount again, but It seems like it's about 50/50 on whether a mech. fuel pump can be used with this mount.

I guess I'm confused... do the side mounts sit the engine lower in the frame thus requiring the notch in the crossmember?

Also there is mention of spacing the hurst mount to use the mech. pump, but does this interfere with anything else like the lower rad hose? I also read a few comments of grinding the hurst mount for clearance...

PICS OF YOUR Mech. fuel pump in a 35-40 would help. Thanks.

ADReese likes this.
  2. TERPU

TERPU

The Hurst mount does not let you run a mechanical pump unless you space the mount out about 3/4 to 1". I have used square tube or solid stock to accomplish this. Longer grade 8 bolts work just fine. Side mounts do cause exhaust issues due to the steering. It's a compromise either way. But the Hurst is pretty easy to make the spacers for.

All the best,

Tim

-Brent- likes this.
  3. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Yes ,you will need to notch the frame a bit for clearance. I did both sides on mine just in case I needed the room for a low mount alt or something.

Attached Files:

PONTNAK123, LOU WELLS and Hombre like this.
  4. That looks good Russco! Thanks for the responses guys, since I am welding challenged I'm leaning towards the hurst mount. I wonder if spacing it out an inch will cause any other clearance issues with the balancer, or ?

5. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I'm not sure if it will still clear the chassis with the Hurst mount regardless of spacing the mount out, unless it raises the motor up a good amount.

6. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

Here is a pic of a SBC in my 36.Hurst mount hit the spring clamps so cut it as you can see.Maybe the 40 crossmember dips further down.The front of the oil pan is 1/16" from the crossmember.Had to put 1" spacers.I'm using an elec fuel pump.I think even if you move the mount forward the crossmember will have to be notched to clear a stock fuel pump.I used 56 Chev 265 log exhaust manifolds.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  7. fatkoop

fatkoop

I've got the same setup as you. 283, Hurst mount, stock trans and rear. I use a Bendix fuel pump mounted above the rear crossmember. Good filter before the pump. Haven't had any issues in over 40,000 miles.

8. Rick 5150 69

Rick 5150 69
    from N Calif

Definately go with the Hurst style mounts, I have the side mounts and really creates a lot of issues, I still may change mine in my `37 coupe.

9. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Dan, I know this doesn't answer your questions, but I used a Carter 12v electric fuel pump ($80-$90) on my roadster and I'm very happy with it. I also tried to do everything I could to use a mechanical pump, but it just wasn't going to happen. 20k+ miles later, I'd use the electric pump again in a heartbeat.

Malcolm

sdroadster likes this.
  10. primerhotrod

primerhotrod
    BANNED
    from ILLINOIS

Using a Hurst mount, it needs to be moved forward, and massaged. The cross member also needs trimming. Find a junk block for mock up. It will make it a lot easier.

11. Thanks Nick, I guess after thinking about it I do have an irrational dislike of electric fuel pumps..

12. Dirty2

Dirty2

Talk to Rusty , he has a 40 with a SBC .

13. notch the crossmember to clear a mechanical fuel pump , and add an electric pump back by the fuel tank. put it on a switch so you run it only when needed . i like the reliability of a stock mechanical pump and the electric for backup

there is room for side mounts , ram horns and stock steering box.....you just have to get a bit creative with the headpipe

a sbc in a `40 ford is the easiest swap ever ...i've done it many times , and it has been done by others countless time over the years . if you have "issues" someone here can help you with it

LOU WELLS likes this.
  14. 41PICUP

41PICUP

I used the Hurst mount in my 41 pickup. Had to use an electric pump.
    Use rams horn manifolds from an early pickup which will get you past the steering with ease. I also used original running gear, Hurst mount makes it easy, just like putting a flathead in.

Attached Files:

-Brent- likes this.
  15. Thanks for the pics 41picup, I think that is the simplest way to go, hurst mount + electric pump. I'm on the lookout for one of those curved manifolds.

Your motor is the look I want, those finned vette VC are my favorite SBC covers, and also, I just happened upon a dual 4 setup. I wasn't looking for one, but the price was right.

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Right hand side manifold off a pickup 67/72 for sure and maybe early 60's to 72.

-Brent- likes this.
  17. deucemac

deucemac

Those angles ram horn manifold were used on late '60's pickups and full sized Chevy passenger cars. They made both left and right turned back outlets. Not real easy to find any more but some still do exist. When using the Hurst mount, Hurst made a pair of "C" shaped risers for '40's that went between the mount pads and the Hurst mount and should give you the proper clearance above the spring. I had a friend (now deceased)that had 27 '40's at one time (died owning 17) and almost all had SBC power, Hurst mounts, electric fuel pumps, turned back ram horns and NO problems. H also drove them like he stole them!

18. Yes, but I only need one for the RH (to use on the LH) and, those manifolds have holes for air pump/ CA emissions. I'm going to look around a little for used one without the holes for the air pump. I know I'm being picky but I'm in no hurry.

19. Brokenwrench Rod n Custom

Brokenwrench Rod n Custom
    from East TN.

Heres some pics of the SBC in my 40. it was installed in 1965. I think this is a hurst mount. notice the lack of clearance for the fuel pump with an un-modified crossmember. I use an electric pump in the rear.

Attached Files:

20. Thanks for the pics, it actually answered another question I had about whether or not the stock Y fender brace can be used. Looks like it can!

21. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

The Chevy PU manifolds have begun to show up at swap meets again. I bought a very nice one for my tudor project for $30 last year. I have seen several in the past couple of years.

22. alchemy

alchemy

FYI, if you are hooking to the stock trans you cannot raise or lower the front of the engine more than a fraction of an inch. Just use the Hurst mount and forget the mechanical pump.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  23. Good point, hadn't thought about that.

24. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I have those on mine as well. (I think that's what they all have for the left side mount from CE) Like I mentioned earlier the CE stuff is as good as it gets for well thought out and ease of installation and actually fitting and working. Either the exhaust manifolds or block hugger or fenderwell headers will work for exhaust with stock steering gear. There is no way around running the mechanical pump with out notching the crossmember but its not really a big deal. Either run electric or notch it. Here is a pic that shows the area between the steering mounting point and the motor mount position without the engine in the chassis. Search for threads from "Olscrounger" on here he has some really good info posted. He has done a lot of 40 builds.

Attached Files:

25. nutbush

nutbush
    from Texas

Dan, dont take this the wrong way, but you really need to get "un-welding challenged"
    I couldnt build a thing without being a good welder. Youtube weldingtipsandtricks.com Jody is amazing at his craft. With a few hours of practice, your confidence will be there and you wont worry about fabricating what you need. Good luck to you!

26. Brokenwrench Rod n Custom

Brokenwrench Rod n Custom
    from East TN.

Yes the OE fender brace can be used, the lower radiator hose isa bit testy on the install, my small block uses the short water pump set up, which is almost a must with hurst mounts and an original style radiator. If you use side mounts it also almost requires a change in the steering box in order to route the dr. side exhaust. W/ the hurst mount you have more options. If you use a stock SBC you can even use 78-81 Malibu manifolds. They are tight to the block and exit close in as well as high on the block. I keep a set of those hangin on the wall for those "just in case it dont fit" situations.

Attached Files:

Atwater Mike likes this.
  27. 4rod

4rod

Well first things first. An sbc in a 40 ford is a real bummer. So I don't have any thing to help u with. Sorry for being a killjoy I'm just a purest.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

28. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Who`s headers did you use and are they still available ?

29. chadhollem

chadhollem

i just used the speedway mount to put a sbc in my 40 coupe easy install.Mine has a dropped axel as well will be using an electric pump.If putting a sbc in 40 isn't traditional why have they been doing it since the 50s?

Atwater Mike, neverdun and wutnxt like this.