Register now to get rid of these ads!

SBC LOWER dipstick tube in block

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Standard32, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Standard32

Standard32
    from LA

What is the correct way to install the LOWER tube in the block?

I was thinking they went in from the BOTTOM, and they were a really tight fit, as-in they don't hardly want to go in...

But, I have a new one (GM part #3951600) that just slides in easily by hand from the bottom...

If that's the case, then the only way it would stay in, is if you put it in from the TOP, so the ridge would keep it from falling through....

I think something isn't right, I wonder if one was stuck and drilled out in the past, making the hole oversized?

Anyone know the correct way for sure? ...I've been searching and have found many people say it goes in from the top, and many saying it goes in from the bottom....There's so much misinformation on the internet it's ridiculous...

2. 37_chevy

37_chevy
    from Nebraska

From the top.

3. aaggie

aaggie

They go in from the top then the upper tube goes in to hold it in place. The factory hole in the block has a small step that the lower tube seats against.

4. Standard32

Standard32
    from LA

how far should it stick down into the oil pan?

Also, if installed from the top, then the upper tube does not fit into the lower tube?

5. coupemerc

coupemerc

Yep...I install mine from the top too. Don't want it falling in!

6. Its a pain sometimes, but if you take er out, talk nice , tell how pretty she is , you can put it right in

7. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

^^^^ sometimes dinner and a few drinks are needed...

8. lht

lht

sounds like your old one broke off in block gotta get it out then slide in new one tap in with plastic or rubber hammer sometimes you have to tap in with long screwdriver on lip that goes flush with block

9. Standard32

Standard32
    from LA

I think y'all are misunderstanding me...

mine slides in EASILY..., but I THOUGHT they were supposed to be a tight fit.

10. Moedog07

Moedog07

It should be a Snug fit unless it's a cheap chinese copy.

11. Theres 2 different size holes - driver side and passenger side and two different dip sticks passenger side and drivers side. If it were switched around your tube wouldn't fit in the hole. When its matched you must gently tap it in.
    There's also cheap Chinese 7.99 chrome sticks that don't fit.

Did you try talking nice ? Sometimes you gotta smackem

12. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

All of the dipstick tube goes in from the top as said should be a step in the dlock for the lower tube to seat on then the top tube goes in and it does not go inside the lower tube.