Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical SBC issues

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by midnightrider78, Aug 17, 2017.

1. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

Yes, full roller. I set lash per the Comp Cams instructions - .016 Intake .020 Exhaust. I'm told bronze gears are generally more maintenance heavy. So, I guess I'll probably end up with a composite gear.

2. mohead1

mohead1

That is correct, the bronze will wear to compensate, and guess where thats going? Straight to the pan. They are really for drag engines that get checked regularly

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

3. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

Well, I think I finally have this under control.
    As I stated earlier, I believe the valvetrain noise that I still hear is just the fact that I have a solid lifter, full roller engine.
    I think the other noise that I couldn't id initially(the one that goes away when it warms up), is a slight bit of piston slap. I was told that, depending upon what type of pistons are in it, this is just the way they sometimes are when cold(can't recall the exact explanation - the phone call woke me up that morning haha).

4. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

56 edit.jpg 56 BandW pic.jpg Just realized, I've asked for help so many times but never posted a pic. First pic was the first time(during my ownership) it left the garage under it's own power. I hadn't even washed all the dust off yet. 2nd pic is this car in 1971 when Dad started working on it.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  5. mohead1

mohead1

Nice ride, roller cammed small block just the ticket....yes, forgot, forged pistons are a little noisey until warm, a good reason to let it warm up decently before getting on it

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Montana1 likes this.
  6. southcross2631

southcross2631

If it has flat top pistons maybe the pistons are installed with the dot to the rear which frees up horsepower, but causes piston slap when cold. Old dirt track trick in the pure stock classes.
    It moves the wrist pin and puts less side load on the bore.

Montana1 likes this.