Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods SBC into 1939 Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 39wagon, Jan 3, 2020.

1. 39wagon

39wagon

A quick question regarding putting a SBC into my '39 coupe. It has stock running gear (but with the little 60hp tube front axle) and the stock trans. Am I going to have to split the wishbones for this change? Also, is there a definitive book on what is required as far as adapters, different flywheels, etc. that explains exactly what is needed? I know that this is perhaps one of the most common conversions, but not to me, i.e. I've never done it before so I need all the help I can get! Any info and/or suggestions from the troops would really be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Wishbone does not need to be split. cast aluminum adapter, custom pilot bushing, 168 tooth flywheel redrilled for ford 10” long style pressure plate (or if you can find one, you can use a 49-50 mercury borg and beck plate that will bolt to Chevy flywheel bolt pattern), stock ford clutch disc 10”, 3 bolt nose mount starter.

passenger side angled ramhorn manifold works great on drivers side to pipe the exhaust around the steering box.
    C1620C7B-AA2C-4E7E-BDF7-155DEF21D11B.jpeg

3. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

If you are using the V8 60 transmission, it will never hold up to even a tired sbc.. The 4.11 rear end won't be much fun either...

LOU WELLS likes this.
  4. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a '37 V8-60, and it had a 4.44 rear end; even less fun.:(

scrap metal 48 and LOU WELLS like this.

5. mickeyc

mickeyc

6. mickeyc

mickeyc

Contact Will Cap near Pismo Beach. They will have and or make everything you need. They fixed me up with everything I needed for a vintage Hemi to Chevy setup. Including bolts fly wheel and even a drill guide. They will sell you one piece or a complete kit. Nice stuff.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  7. Check out my build thread on my 39 in the red link below. I did exactly what you are asking about and I outline it all. Its an easy swap, if you use the right parts. PMme I’d you have questions. Happy to help out.

Ralphies54 and LOU WELLS like this.
  8. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Good point, It won’t bolt up to the adapter either

9. The only unexpected thing I found when building my AVATAR is that most of the adapters are designed for the early starter so keep that in mind.

Charlie Stephens

10. fullhouse296

fullhouse296
    from Australia

Buy it all in a box ,then fix it up to look like all the other cookie cutter sbc out there . UurrGhh