Register now to get rid of these ads!

SBC intake search

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by buzzard, Jul 10, 2009.

1. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

Couple of things have got me thinking lately about a new intake for the coupe. It's a warm 327 with a Muncie in a Model A, for those that don't know the car. I've been running a c-26 for a while and I like it.

I've been thinking about making a couple of adjustment for the HAMB Drags to improve the performance at the track. My initial thought was to put an Air Gap RPM, since I'll have one available from another engine I'm putting in the Field Car. They don't have provision for an oil fill tube though, and that got me thinking some more.

I know SBC intakes have been tested in magazines since the dawn of time, so forgive me if I should already have this info. memorized.:) Like most of us, I'm looking for the best performance and look comprimise. Here are the criteria that I'm considering.

Single carb
    RPM range to 6500 rpm, at least
    Oil fill provision (otherwise, I'd use the Air Gap)

PS. I know I can just fill the oil in the breathers. That's not the question at hand.:p

2. take a look at the Edelbrock Performer RPM . if you look close at the picture , you can see it does have the boss that you can drill out for an oil fill tube. i have one right here and it does have the boss. check out the spec's:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-7101/

3. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

a good hole saw will do the trick

4. Edelbrock performer was also the first that came to mind, but I'm no expert.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

C4b used to be a pretty good setup

6. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

I have an Edelbrock C3B, with the oil fill tube.

What difference would there be between the 2 (performer and C3B?)

I was actually looking to switch because I cannot use the oil fill provision b/c my alt mounts right above it, i have a freeze plug in it now.

7. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

the Edelbrock Perfomer RPM intake is a nice set up for what your planing to do..and fairly cheap..even more so used, Ive seen em in great condition for $75 to 80 bucks
    in fact I have a new one with a new Rochester Qjet on it, sitting on the shelf.

8. 54BOMB

54BOMB

You wanna borrow that old Weiand I have ? Its got the oil fill tube , single 4 and some high rise to it. If you want to , its yours.

9. LowFat48

LowFat48

10. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

X2 on the Trantula......those suckers are cool and perform well.....

11. ocfab

ocfab

Edelbrock Performer RPM 1500- 6500 good strong intake and you can add the oil tube

12. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

that RPM range you'd probably want the Performer RPM. Your engine combination might make more HP using a single plane... but you'll lose low end torque and quite possibly make the car slower than the dual plane.

I have an engine builder who dyno'd the Performer RPM and the Performer RPM airgap and saw the exact same numbers. On an open engine compartment with tons of cold air running under the carb, you'd see a benefit.... but you lose the oil fill tube provision.

13. Ghost28

Ghost28

Just listed an older torker with the oil filler tube in hamb auto parts yesterday. if you are interested pm me...ghost

14. yekoms

yekoms

I'd stick with the Air Gap. Weld in a fill tube. If you add the tube make sure that it is atleast 4" long or baffled. There is a bunch of oil splash in the lifter valley. Add a 1" carb spacer to bump the rpm range up a little bit if you want to. If you use a 4 hole spacer it changes the signal to the carb boosters so you may want to mess with the jets.
    Smokey

15. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

There's a hell of a deal in the classifieds right now for an old C4b with oil fill hole for 75 bucks. That's a great deal for a nice 45 year old intake.

16. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

If there was an award for best all-around performing intake it would go to the performer RPM. You just can't go wrong with one on a street engine.

As mentioned, you can drill a hole for a stock type fill tube. Or....I've seen some neat variations with custom fill tubes welded onto intakes as well. good luck

17. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

Thanks for the advice, guys. Looks like I'll end up with the Performer RPM, or Air Gap. Since I'll have the Air Gap, I'll probably just try it out. The C26 will go right back on after the HAMB Drags, so missing the oil fill is more a looks thing that practicality.

18. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

Myself and mr.gibson talked about this. apparently, the secret is in spacer combos and type.

he even said "bitchin".

19. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

Whatever Frank says is good enough for me. Especially if we have him saying "bitchin" !

I'll swing by tomorrow after I finish the wiring we talked about.

20. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

cool. just make sure You pack the fire extinguisher. :D