Register now to get rid of these ads!

SBC in a ford?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TulsaChokehld, Jan 16, 2005.

1. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

even if he got that chevy installed in that ford, it's ready for a re-build at this point.

2. spiders web

spiders web

Really? I'll bet you pee in your bath water too. Why dont you find a Renault for the chevy engine. Goes to show some people only have taste in their mouth!!!!!!!!

3. corrosive

corrosive
    from 08070

is this place to ask questions or is it for old people ? I am new to this site but not new to cars. my favorite motor of all motors is a 390bb . they are not cheap to build . I love all cars and trucks.

4. kracker36

kracker36

Since this thread was started, the 350 has had time to blow a head gasket, crack a valve seat, and be replaced by what belongs in a Ford-----a Ford.

5. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

I've got a buddy that bleeds Ford blue. Me, I like them all, but have most experience with Chevys. If we go to a car show and he sees a vehicle he likes and then discovers it has a Chevy in it he'll turn and walk away without even looking at the rest of it. I just laugh and keep on looking. Now, whenever he hears about a Ford in a Chevy he makes sure that we look at that one. He points out that it has a Ford in there, like it really bugs me. Like I said, I like them all.

6. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

I have to ask, why use the 350 if you love the 390? All engines are expensive to build and the more you do yourself the more money can be saved.
    I guess what I'm saying is the money invested in a engine purely for convenience may be money wasted. The engine is just a small part of the investment in a vehicle. If you really love the 390, why not build one?

7. corrosive

corrosive
    from 08070

I had most of the parts around for a sbc and a th350 trans so that is one thing. any store you go into now it is easy to get parts . 390 are not around any more . not only would I need to build a the 390 but need to find a c6 trans too. then find motor mounts and trans mounts, crossmember too. I know im not the only one out there who loves all makes . when you build a car your building it for your self . or am I wrong. I woudnt care if some one put a weed eater motor in a car. if you have love in what your doing then do it . don't judge or hate some one . any way my 59 is a rat rod . FORD TUFF WITH CHEVY STUFF

8. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Well,,,,,,,,didja do it?

9. skinnydude

skinnydude

Its The Only Way To Fly , But I Guess Not On This Sight .

10. tedster

tedster

Mmm. Rat rod.

11. Great to see so many comments on this old thread. I am like everyone else, wonder if he got the truck? You guys all crack me up with the Ford - Chevy thing. All my projects are fords, but my daily drivers are all Chevy. I guess i just need to know that I am going to make it home from work if you know what I mean. Ha Ha

12. Hefty Lefty

Hefty Lefty

Anything can be put in anything, but you see a lot of Chevy engines in everythingelse and very few Chevys with anything but a Chevy in them. That should tell you something. I put a sbc in my Buick because that was the cheapest way to keep an economically not valuable car going.

You can build a five liter Ford or a couple similar V8 Fords for not that much more than a sbc, but any other engine is going to cost appreciably more to build. There are not too many pushrod Ford motors available in junk yards or from vehicle pulls in usable as is shape anymore, same with Mopar. The Japanese car guys are lucky because they have JDM pulls and halfcuts cheap since Japan makes people junk cars early.

Cashforclunkers made the problem worse, as it killed a lot of cars in the age range where they still had old style pushrod engines and RWD. They had to destroy the engines, it was legal to pull the heads and accessories off them but no one did because they figured they were destroyed (some survived the mandated lockup okay for core: the water glass comes out with a methanol soak) and most of the cars went to the crusher/shredder pretty intact. I tried to get a bed assembly off a truck from a yard and they shuffled and squirmed so much I finally gave up asking. A lot of good transmissions, transfer cases and rear ends as well as sheetmetal went into the crusher. Even seats and radios.