Register now to get rid of these ads!

sbc in 53 ford wagon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dorf, Dec 10, 2013.

1. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

a friend is installing a sbc in a 53 ford wagon . the center link is causing interference . he was going to notch the oil pan ,but the oil pump is right there . anyone done this swap or have any ideas .

2. 1blown57

1blown57
    from Florida

may be a 63 67 nova pickup and oil pan ?

3. You might try the guys in the 52-59 social group,,I know the 52/53 Fords didn't have the new suspension that was introduced in '54. HRP

4. deucemac

deucemac

years ago Hurst offered a dropped drag link to cure the problem. All the did was cut the stock drag link near where the tie rods attached and the added a bar about 3" lower attached by 2 plates welded on each side and to the original drag link stubs that were left. I often looked at those and thought that a simple jig to hols the drag link in position while cutting and welding could be fabricated and do one at home. But I haven't had a '49-'53 Ford or Merc that needed an engine change since then so I forgot about it until this post. You might try an ad to see if anyone has one of those old Hurst drag links, There is nothing to wear out since the pittman arm and idler arm had the bushing in them instead.

5. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Hurst,Herbert and Trans-Dapt last produced them in the early 70's here is a picture from the Almquist catalog from around 1959:http://www.jalopyjournal.com/?p=6403 The third page in this article(click on it to enlarge) http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=177373&page=2 shows the dropped drag link install. Too bad he didn't use a 5.0 Ford from 1979 up with a Fox body dual sump pan we would not even be having this discussion also the Fords front mounted oil filter eliminates the oil filter clearance at the steering box,Old Henry was looking ahead I guess ;)

6. manyolcars

manyolcars

that 1979 Fox/mustang sure is an ugly car, isnt it?

7. k9racer

k9racer

Its been close to 45 years since the last one but I have fab up several 49 thru 53 fords with different G M engines. 3 with chevy..The drop drag link is the simplest way to go. I never bought one as it is to easy to fab up. Be sure to remove enough of the original not to have the drag link hit the side of oil pan. My first one { CAD engine} I left to much of it and it limited the turn radius quite a bit.All you need is 2 peices of scrap steel a way to cut the drag ling and a welder. . You might have to go to a electric fuel pump or notch the frame. This is according to what engine mount or adapter you use. I hope this helps. Good luck.... Bobby

8. scrape53

scrape53
    from iowa

i have a nava front sump on mine

9. scrape53

scrape53
    from iowa

10. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

thanks for all the help . some one mentioned the hurst mount today . seems everyone agrees that there no longer made . and thanks for the tech .

11. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

a SBC in a 53 Ford wagon, that's the way to go for power. let's see some pics

12. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

13. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

Im sorry but that was funny. Gotta get them jabs in and rile up the ford guys.

14. I've used a lot of sbc engines in early Fords but the 52-54 Fords have plenty of room for a Ford engine,the 302's fit like they were designed for these cars. HRP

[​IMG]

15. Pheaton193

Pheaton193
    from Reno, NV

I found a new Hurst dropped drag on ebay two months ago and bought it. It is now installed in my 53 making room for an Ardun with a Merc rear sump pan. I used a Hurst draglink when I put a Chev in my old 53, years ago. They work great.

No need to make a jig when making your own dropped drag link. Just don't cut off original center piece until the new dropped section is welded into place. Also, you will have to leave th right idler arm in place while installing the dropped section because you cannot put it in afterwards because the dropped section interferes.

16. 6-71

6-71

I put a 327 in a 53 Ford about 35 years ago,dropped the drag link as several others have said.Didn't have to buy anything,and didn't have to mess with the pan or oil pump pickup. Anyone with basic skills can do this with no problems.

17. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Call Steve at 214 755 0323---he has this swap. Tell him Marty sent you.

18. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

Amen brother:rolleyes:

19. I have also done the dropped center link deal, but rather than fab one up I formed it. Bought tie rod kit from Speedway. If you pack it full of sand (make sure it is DRY sand), screw the tie rod ends in to pack sand and heat/bend. No kinking. I have done a couple and they work out great.

20. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Put a SBF in it. A Ford deserves a Ford powerplant! :D

21. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

he had a friend fab a dropped link . thanks to all who contributed .

22. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ