Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical SBC high torque mini starter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VSO737, Sep 18, 2014.

1. VSO737

VSO737

Any idea why the starter engages; spins in the flex-plate; and retracts when the ignition is turned off..............and DOES NOT move the flex-plate

I am NOT using a remote starter, these magnetic starters will continue running if wired up to a remote solenoid.

I have a heavy cable to the starter from the battery and the solenoid is wired to the ignition switch via the NSS.

The battery is charged up..............

Tried it in both PARK and NEUTRAL...............

It started fine a few times and then when the motor warmed up, this issue started.

My next step is to TURN the motor over by hand...................before taking it out and having it checked out.

Any suggestions .................THANKS in advance.

LG,
    Mike

2. Some how on the way to off position the start wire gets energized.

Good place to start looking is the ignition switch

3. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

If you think it's the ignition switch consider one from Ron Francis, it seems to be a better switch than what I got from the local parts houses in my area........................

4. squirrel

squirrel

If it were a normal starter, I'd say the overrunning clutch in the starter is bad. Might be the problem with yours, too?

5. VSO737

VSO737

I tend to agree with SQUIRREL..........

Why would the ignition switch be a problem when it makes the starter engage and it retracts as soon as you turn the key back from the forward position.

Did I mention that everything is new..............

My starter looks like the 9200 Powermaster but Powermaster claims it is NOT one of theirs. Close but no cigar.......................

Stagger bolting pattern with 168 tooth flex-plate on a 1960 283CI motor ....................

Always willing to hear ideas...........I can't be the ONLY one who has had this problem.

6. squirrel

squirrel

Lately I hear a lot of stories about problems with hi torque mini starters, but not about stock starters. I put a normal 1970s chevy starter (rebuilt unit from the parts store for about $40) in my Chevy II, it works fine.

sometimes we over complicate things

7. Any idea why the starter engages; spins in the flex-plate; and retracts when the ignition is turned off .

Can you elaborate on this statement.

To me The way that This is worded it sounds as if the starter attempts to engage while moving the key from run position to off position.

8. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think those starters have a clutch in them( similar to a Harley starter) and that can fail. Usually they don't fail completely all at once; they slip a few times but still start. I do the same as squirrel on my stuff.

10. Use a stock type starter before you chew up a flex plate! That has happend to alot of people

11. Still looking for clarification here.

Some read this problem occurring
    Key in start position - starter not fully operative
    Which would likely be the starter.

However I read this problem occurring
    Starter energizing and partially engaging with key somewhere between run and off position
    Which likely would be a problem in the ignition switch.

Any idea why the starter engages; spins in the flex-plate; and retracts when the ignition is turned off..............and DOES NOT move the flex-plate

In other words -
    When the ignition switch is moved into the off position, the starter energizes, the bendix spins into the flex plate then retracts.

Now I guess That probably sounds like a low battery thunk.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  12. Doesn't it say on Powermaster web site or something, that its is normal for gear to stay engaged to flywheel when engine off. It said it was normal and not to worry about it. It happens with new ones or something like that.

13. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Are you using the knurled starter bolts?
    From your description it sounds like the starter is now misaligned, or the clutch is slipping as Joel said.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  14. can you, remove the inspection cover, remove the small wires, install a test switch [isolated from the car wiring] that you can operate from under the car, then hit the switch while watching exactly what is going on and report back?

15. Put a stock starter on it. I have destroyed an sfi rated flex plate with one of those and I have broken the shift on more than one in my drag racing days. Clearances were all correct.
    When I had my dragster built I made sure that a stock Chevrolet starter fit. Good luck.
    Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. Gerry Moe

Gerry Moe

To me there is three scenario's here, incorrect wiring (said it started a couple times so unlikely), bad ignition switch or bad starter solenoid. I would first run an electrical check on ignition switch and replace if need, than test solenoid replace if need

17. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I see your point. I read that as; starter engages and spins in the start position and then retracts in the off position but doesn't turn flexplate. I agree, more clarification.

18. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Recheck your clearances. Mainly, pinion TOOTH engagement and DISTANCE. I love my mini and will NEVER go back. But you have to install it correctly.

19. VSO737

VSO737

Problem resolved.
    The starter would continue to spin when the gear was engaged but the FLEX-PLATE did NOT move.
    It was a bad gear drive. Repair-shop replaced the gear drive. Also, it is possible to reverse the direction of the gear rotation just by placing the magnetic center housing in the WRONG direction.

ALSO, DO NOT use a remote solenoid switch with these MAGNETIC driven mini starters UNLESS you install a diode to prevent the electricity from feeding back to the starter. THE STARTER WILL CONTINUE TO SPIN WITH THE FLEX-PLATE/MOTOR. Ask me how I know...................

Remember, as far as the SBC starters go - straight bolt pattern for a 153 teeth flex-plate and a stagard bolt pattern for a 168 teeth flex-plate.

Thanks a bunch for all the input,
    LG,
    Mike

loudbang likes this.
  20. dan31

dan31

Had the same problem with one from speedway lately . Seems as if the mounting holes where drilled a hair off and the starter would not quite catch( not a shim problem). Returned it and put a stock one on with no problems.