Register now to get rid of these ads!

SBC Help?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DrewDay, Jul 11, 2009.

1. DrewDay

DrewDay
    from Austin, Tx

I just picked up an OT 67 impala and the seller said that the original 283 was blown, and upon further inspection it looks like pressure buckled the valve cover and caused it to unseat from the head and bent the valve cover. But when i took off the valve cover there was no visual damage to the valve train. I was wondering if anyone else has ever heard of anything like this happening and what it could be that happened?

Thanks

2. skunx1964

skunx1964

3. brandon

brandon

possibly fuel in the oil ...had it happen to a 283 stocker drag car ....bulged the covers real bad.:D seems like it backfired thru the carb and possibly ignited the fumes......been a few years back.:rolleyes:

4. The same type of thing happened to 57Trucker. Engine backfire busted one of his cast alumimun valve covers and buckeled the oil pan. Motor is still running.

5. chevyshack

chevyshack

Ive never seen this before. Got any pics of this valve cover? Have you tried firing up the engine at all? I once bought a 305 thats was supposed to be blown and turned out to be a collapsed lifter. Peoples definition of blown are all different.

6. 42hotrod

42hotrod
    from S.E. Idaho

A bad fuel pump will do this. Fills the crankcase with fuel, fuel gets hot and vaporizes, then BANG...I've heard of it blowing a valve cover right off an engine.

7. miller

miller
    from New Jersey

Hi this may not be your problem but...check the fuel pump for gas getting into the engie oil...I once had a pump go bad and it put about a gallon of gas in the oil not good........I read somewhere that the U.S. Army was having oil pans/valve covers and gaskets blowing off the motors during WW II some how gas/fumes was getting into the crank case and the cure was to put in a PCV set up to pull out the gasoline fumes....Miller

8. rc.grimes

rc.grimes
    from Edmond, OK

Heard of a few cases with domestics doing this. Real common on air-cooled vw's. Typical of pad fuel pump filling the engine. Cleans the internals fairly well but if it had been run for a long period (before the boom) you may have bearing wear.

9. DrewDay

DrewDay
    from Austin, Tx

I just ordered a new fuel pump, and we'll see if it starts after that

Thanks for the help guys

10. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Dont forget to put fresh oil in it. Dont want it to go BOOM again.:eek: