Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical SBC Gear Drive

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hdonlybob, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Hey folks,
    Need some info and advise.
    I am going to put a gear drive in my '63 Biscayne.....it has a 283 bored .60 over, cam, hydraulic lifters, and several other upgrades...
    CONFESSION....I want it for the NOISE only...yep yep yep.....so hold the negative comments on that please..I know what I am getting into...
    I know Pete Jackson is a popular one, but not sure about others, and the price range is crazy...hence the asking first..
    I am considering buying a used (15K mile) Edelbrock edl-7890 Accu-drive that I can buy for ~$80. It lists for ~$190...
    Any comments on this one ?? It supposedly is the quieter version..
    Or other suggestions ???
    Thanks much....

2. squirrel

squirrel

put a baseball card in the spokes?

Deuces, hipster, Bandit Billy and 8 others like this.
  3. alchemy

alchemy

I know you said to keep the opinions to ourselves, but I gotta say: 20 years ago I added a gear drive to my daily driver S-10 w/SBC, and was sick of it soon after. When the engine got rebuilt a couple years later it did NOT go back in.

Deuces and Joliet Jake like this.
  4. Gman0046

Gman0046

A gear drive installation is something you do only once. Aside from being annoying everyone thinks your a blower wannabe.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
    Deuces and da34guy like this.

5. It's kind of like a sock in your underwear, a toupee, your girl's stuffed bra, or similar; but if it makes you happy...........

A good sounding exhaust is a much nicer noise

Deuces, fauj, hidez57 and 3 others like this.
  6. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Don't they make quiet ones and noisy ones? I thought it was dependent on the angle or straight teeth. I was given a Pete. Only ran it for a little while and took it out. I gave it to a buddy who ran it for a couple years but also was sick of the noise after a short time.

Deuces likes this.
  7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Jim has a way of saying things without really saying it.

Bob
    Come over anytime, bring a Cloyes Tru Roller timing set with you and help take my Pete Jackson "noisy" gear drive out of my 357 and we will trade, I'll even buy the beer.
    I take that back, you bring me a couple cases of Leinenkugel and I'll call it even.
    Bought this thing years ago, it's brand effing new, never run, but every time I hear one I just know I would be putting a gun in my mouth after a hundred miles.
    Now, if you come into some money; consider a Milodon unit.

8. I second that

9. I have a Pete Jackson "quiet" gear drive on my 327. It does "whine" but is not annoying. Been in the car a while with no issues.

loudbang likes this.
  10. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My sister Mikki and her boyfriend put one in the Tomasello SBC in her '40 Coupe.
    My '40 Merc was not running, so she gave me her '40 to go to the Beach Street Revival in Santa Cruz.
    Thirty miles over Highway 17 from my shop to 'Cruz'...if I had earplugs I woulda used 'em! (and I was still 'young'!)
    Real headache maker...

41rodderz likes this.
  11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have seem WAY too man gear drives fail.

12. I had one in my Chevelle for 20 years. The noise never bothered me, but it was also an 11:1 motor with a big solid cam and 3" exhaust so the gear drive was sort of drowned out by exhaust noise.

loudbang likes this.
  13. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

I bought a 350 with one in it, after running it, it was not for me. It is now part of some "automotive art" I welded together. I have never seen the practical use for one on the street.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  14. X2, love it!

Deuces likes this.
  15. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Had one in my 69 Z/28 but at the time I was 17 and dug it, now I wanna hear a big roller cam and some compression

Deuces and Just Gary like this.
  16. LOL! did you know me thirty years ago?:cool:

Deuces likes this.
  17. Abomb

Abomb

There was one already installed on the freshly built motor I bought...I wouldn't have bought one and installed it, since it was there already, I just left it. I have no idea what it is, but it's not terribly annoying to me. I kind of like it, but, I haven't taken any extended road trips in the car either. I doubt I've gone more than 40 miles one way in it since I put that motor in...cause I took it apart for paint 3.5 years ago, and am just now putting it back together. Want me to update this thread next October ?

18. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Appreciate all the comments..
    But how about some info on my original question :)

lawman likes this.
  19. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You get what you pay for.

20. I had 2 edelbrock and 1 cloyes gear drives break. It was not pretty. Never had a true roller chain break. Your call

loudbang and gimpyshotrods like this.
  21. I'll honestly reply.....Gear drives were the "thought of" positive balance between the cam and crank= no chain to stretch.....But early unit's still had the "walk" . Numerous variations over the years....Some more refined,some offering more balance in keeping things in line......
    Let's fast forward a lil..... SO- A gear drive........Gear driven. Duh. Unless someone would be wanting a substantial gain in the HP world, and it's benefit's...the timing belt=Comp Cams,Jesel, and others are the leaders,but enough of that stuff......
    Do the gear drive- You won't feel anything in the seat of your pants,and it probably uses more HP to turn.....
    Noisy or a quiet one......Your call there. Try to listen to someone's car that has a quiet one, a noisy one,then see if you can find someone who has a Pete, or a Milodon and compare......They sound different.
    If your just going for the whine factor, just get the loudest SOB you can. If your going to do it,do it.
    It's an acquired taste.....
    But, and I mean but- Just like everything else in life that seem's cool at the time,will not be so cool tomorrow.... A thumpy cam and some barking exhaust will come full circle....
    I guess you would have to try it for yourself and see if it's your deal.
    I've been there,and done that, so it's experience and not BS.
    Just be aware that if it's not your deal,guess what you'll be doing........

22. chevrolayd

chevrolayd

Don't do it mine failed and left me stranded. I will never put one in again. You will also hate the noise after a long drive.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  23. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

people that have been talking about how they did not like the gear drive noise, etc need to think back when someone told you not to do something because of the potential negative consequences and you did it anyway? from what I read online the Pete Jackson & Summit set ups work OK for street use. no use installing a quiet gear drive, if you are going to do it do it all the way. the big bucks ones are for certain types of racing applications.

24. 327Eric

327Eric

I paid 80 dollars for my used Pete Jackson in 1988. The price is OK on the one your looking at, but personally I would go with a Pete Jackson. Mine was used for about a year before the sound got to me, but I had a 45 minute commute.

25. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Sounds like 25 pissed off chipmonks dropped it a fan.

das858 likes this.
  26. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

Worst piece you can put in a SBC. Years ago at the professional engine builders shows. A big cam company would show research films. Stop action and real Hi-rpm dyno pulls with gear drives and chains. Gear drives transfer all harmonics from the lower end. Directly to the cam/lifters. Then thru the pushrods to the top end.. Pushrods look like rubber tuning forks.
    Why do they sell gear drives.... "The kids buy them"

loudbang likes this.
  27. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Come on, guys. He said no negative comments.

28. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

You want to do it, so do it; but, I think we all know the reason the used Edelbrock is for sale, and for cheap. Someone got tired of the noise they make, even the "quiet" ones. Have fun, but don't throw your old chain setup away, you may need it again later. Now a question: the Gilmer belts make the noise with blowers right? Even when the pulleys have been drilled to let air escape as i understand it. Maybe get one of those Gilmer belt/drive pulley setups for the water pump/alternator, IF they make the same sort of noise? Just a thought. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

29. If you want crazy noise, get the Pete Jackson noisy version . They will hear you coming a half mile away! I ran one many years ago for one season, and sold it.

30. I have run the Pete Jackson cheater drive and it held up OK. I haven't tried the edelbrock unit.

What you have to consider with a cheater drive is that the cross bar travels (floats), and I have seen them come unglued. You are way better off with a unit with a fixed idler. Its a little or work to set up and they are a little more pricey but well worth the added expense and work involved.