Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical SBC fuel pump/ motor plate issues.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by deto, May 30, 2015.

1. deto

deto

So...

I thought I did enough research when I fabbed up my motor plate for my SBC. Everything I read said space it away from the block a 1/4" for pump clearance...

Low and behold, it still hits WITH the spacer, and it looks like it really needs at least a half inch.

So my question is, are there mechanical fuel pumps for an SBC that have a smaller diameter body?

2. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

If you can cut a hole in your motor plate for the fuel pump, and then bolt up the plate solid to the block with out spacers

Better for water pump location and gaskets etc

n847 likes this.
  3. spinout

spinout
    from Dallas, TX

Yes. The mid 70's SBC mechanical fuel pumps were smaller in diameter. Not sure which years, but I remember they had a vacuum outlet that you had to plug. I'm looking for one now, but I have to find an old timer at the parts store. If you locate one, please post the model number.

4. deto

deto

Will do

5. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

There is an aftermarket pump that bolts onto the engine in a stock fashion, but the pump mechanism is tubular/cylindrical in appearance, and in line with the push rod, not at all like the diaphragm pumps. I'm certain it would clear the front mount. "RACE PUMPS" is the name, on page 31 of the newest Summit catalog, but they are not cheap!. I already saw in the other thread where you "relieved" the mount for clearance, so this might save someone else that issue. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.