Register now to get rid of these ads!

SBC fuel pump help.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ric, Feb 24, 2014.

1. I am currently assembling a '32 Ford chassis with a SBC. It is fitted with a Hurst style front mount ( I fabbed it so it is not exactly a Hurst mount). Now I am trying to fit a mechanical fuel pump and it interferes. See pic. Can anyone supply a part number for a different pump that might be smaller in diameter ? Pump in pic is Napa #M3120.
    Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. I'm not saying that a smaller pump does not exist, but I just went through this on my 40, and the consensus is that late 50's SBC fuel pumps have a clockable bottom. (it looks like you might have one of those.) That way the fittings can be turned away from the mount. As far as I know, there isn't a smaller diameter pump. I'm going to be running an electric one.

Could you space the mount forward from the block a little to give it some room?

3. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

I've heard two different stories.

there is a 6 cylinder pump that will work and is a little smaller

space out the mount if you can....

I have the same issue and would love to keep a mechanical pump.

4. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Had this problem on my 34 Plymouth and found my solution in a Carter mechanical pump from summit. I ´can´t remember which # it was. You can turn the bottom end to clear the lines but I don´t think it is a lot smaller in diameter...

Attached Files:

5. squirrel

squirrel

I think you're supposed to have the pump on the engine before you make the mount? The pumps are all pretty much the same size, the later model ones with the crimped housing are a tad smaller. They have several varieties of hose locations, too. The early-mid 60s versions have 1/8" pipe thread fittings, which might help.

6. The hurst mounts came with spacers to allow for pump clearance. Can you put a spacer between the mount and block?

7. I am thinking the spacers are the answer, I have an original Hurst mount on the SBC in my Model A and there is no clearance issue. The pump is about the same diameter as the new one from Napa. I installed spacers between mount and block when I installed the mount on the engine for the '32 but I am going to revisit that and see if more clearance can be created between mount and pump. Thanks for your input guys.