Register now to get rid of these ads!

SBC Flywheel and starter help please.......

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sixcarb, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Sixcarb

Sixcarb
    from North NJ

Before I go and buy a starter I would like to figure out what I need, I have a 153 Tooth flywheel but I'm not sure what will work together so here's what I have........sbc thats looks to have 3 starter bolt holes with the back two being straight across from each other, the motor is adapted to a old Speed Gems bell housing that will take a 3 bolt starter, do I have to use one or the other or does it not matter,, I'm trying to stay with the 153 tooth if possible so I'm thinking bolt the starter to the block and just don't use the 3 bolt? or can I use a 3 bolt starter with the smaller flywheel.

2. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

try a 1987 caprice 305, make sure you have the correct bolts. The old style that mount on the bell, not the block, are all for 168 tooth iirc.

3. take a look at Napa part # 246-4785

4. RadioFlyer

RadioFlyer

Just for general fyi's:
    Two chevy flywheels exist,

153 tooth flywheel = straight across bolt pattern starter (block mounted), see above starter recomendation.

168 tooth flywheel = angle bolt pattern starter (block mounted), just about any other application. Older heavy style starter: 1973 Nova 350cid. later model lightweight starter: 1983 C-10 w/305 & 700r4.

Alex.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. brady1929

brady1929

i too appreciate any and all info

6. Sixcarb

Sixcarb
    from North NJ

I just found a 168 aluminum flywheel that will take an 11" clutch so I'm assuming it's ok to use a 3 bolt starter right to the bellhousing and don't use the block holes at all?

7. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IF this is a Speed Gems bellhousing/adapter WITH the 3 bolt bellhousing mount style starter, and you want to use a block mounted starter, you may have to modify the bellhousing for clearence. Your Speed Gems bellhousing/adapter takes a 168 tooth flywheel, which you already have. WHY don't you want to use the bellhousing mounted 3 bolt starter? If you're concerned about reliability issues, just carry an extra set of brushes, and a solenoid. I still use the bellhousing mount starters, and won't go to block mounted, that requires knocking off one of the starter motor bosses for clearence, I'm not going to tear up a tri-five bellhousing, like so many others have. Butch/56sedandelivery.

8. i've used a Speed Gems adapter on a SBC with a block mounted starter and it worked fine

9. Sixcarb

Sixcarb
    from North NJ

Thanks for the replies.....I prefer to use the 3 bolt early starter and since I came up with a 168 flywheel today that's the route I'm going to take......I was just stuck earlier since I only thought I had a 153 flywheel.