Register now to get rid of these ads!

SBC/Flathead washers??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bruce Lancaster, Mar 19, 2004.

1. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I was just reminded of this quest by another post:
    A few years ago, I saw in a catalog special washers made for Chevy engines with aluminum race heads. These things were made in the shape of an inverted hat, with a tubular tail that extended down into a redrilled stud hole and made the washer a permanent press fit in the head. The company also sold a stepped drill/mill bit that carved out the proper nest for the washer in the head.
    Now I can't locate the catalog or find anything like this in a web search. Can anyone ID the company or name a source for something similar? I am hoping to use these to make a really good repair on a set of ancient Edelbrock flatheads that some moron ran without washers, leaving a mangled conical void under each head nut.

2. MBL

MBL

Just thinking out loud here with no experience and limited ability....could you machine a ledge into the head (to make it square) and then push a bronze bushing in there as a surface? Just a thought.
    Tim
    MBL

3. Steve

Steve

That sounds similar to a product a place out here in california was selling for flatheads. Was a machine shop in the Bay Area. cant remember the name of it now but the old guy who ran it died a couple years ago. was basically a plastic sleeve the went under the washer to help seal and prevent leaks. damn why cant I think of the name right now.

4. can you get them from edelbrock? i used a set of their aluminum heads once and i think they came with hardened steel washers...you need something under the ehad of the bolt to keep from tearing up the aluminum when you torqure them...... you may want to check ARP

http://www.arp-bolts.com/

5. alchemy

alchemy

Wouldn't it be better to just face the area down and use a nice wide and thick washer? If you use a inner-shouldered washer the head won't have the ability to "move" like it needs to.

If you use a thick and wide washer you can bridge any small bit of void left, without having to face too deeply.

The rubber washer (O-ring) under the steel washer thing mentioned was from Furtado and it just sealed the coolant better. Didn't provide any support at all, of course. Sounded like a good idea for a leaker though.

alchemy

6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

These washers were meant to replace the head surface with steel at about the original level, and to be used with a conventional washer and nut.
    I want them because their thickness will drop them down to where there's more support--years of use with nothing there left very deep galling with lots of metal gone near the top of the hole. Then I can start thinking about the H-10's that have been in there since the upper paleozoic with no antiseize...

7. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

what you need is a counterbore if the holes are still round.you might need 2 of'em,1 in the diameter of the sleeve part extending into the head,and another for the larger diameter on top,both having a pilot the same size as the original hole.for a flathead i think it would be an easy job on a drill press.they're available in straight shank for jacob's style chucks and #2 morse taper.if the holes are egg-shaped i would consider building or having built a jig to make sure the holes line up with the block when you're done.if you have a lathe or access to one it would be pretty easy to make those collars.

8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

yeah, these washers came with a special bit with a step so it drilled out the hole and simultaneously milled a step for the flatwasher section.

9. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Well, for what it's worth I've looked for what you discribed and I understand why you need it....but I haven't found anything. I have a couple of small parts/nuts and bolts catalogs at home I can look through. But that would leave you to your own devices with the bit and hole boring part. I'll keep searching.

10. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

howzabout a flycutter with a pilot? you're cutting aluminum right? the bit could be adjustable to cut the smaller diameter 1st,then moved outward to face the top.if i get bored i'll make one up and send it to you-george