Register now to get rid of these ads!

SBC exhaust question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gearstix, Dec 23, 2008.

1. Gearstix

Gearstix

What do you guys do when you'r trying to jam a SBC into a space where you cannot fit headers?
    A 'log style' exhaust manifold?

2. Black Primer

Black Primer

I used block huggers on my 37.

3. Gearstix

Gearstix

Hmm. do you have any photos?

4. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

what's your tight space? I've seen very few installations (including an sbc in an MG TD) that required atypical gyrations for the exhaust - block huggers solve most problems.

dj

5. barney pierce

barney pierce

Check out Hedman headers, they have a set of flat block huggers I used on a 57 Chevy W/ a 604 P.S. conversion. They fit tighter than stock manifolds & flow considerably better! Hope this helps, Barney

6. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

55 chevy exhaust although not the best flow fit tight and the left dumps to the front to clear most steering.
    Gary

7. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

You can get some from Patriot...they manufacture block hugger and 3/4 length headers that will clear all steering boxes and lower steering assembies. Or just use the factory ram's horn style manifold. They look cool, take up little space..and are traditional.

Jerry

8. Parts48

Parts48
    from Tucson, Az
    1. Hot Rod Veterans

I have the Hedman block huggers in my 53 Jag with SBC..which actually fit better than rams. Sort of depends on where you are tight. I had to clear the long steering column spear..
    Worked nice.

What's the car ?

9. Gearstix

Gearstix

Its not a hamb friendly car.
    I will have to clear a steering colum. I may just buy the swap headers for my vehicle.

10. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

I'm guessing it's an S10 or something like it if anyone offers swap headers. I've done several and used the camaro manifolds. I did use the Hedman swap headers once, but still like the cast iron better.

11. Gearstix

Gearstix

Just stock camaro manifolds?

12. HAMB friendly or not, it would help to know what kind of car it is.

Building headers isn't that difficult technically speaking.
    Just takes a little blood, sweat and tears....

13. The boy is using S-10 V-8 swap headers for the small block in his '64 Caddy.

[​IMG]

14. Gearstix

Gearstix

s10.
    I will try to find a picture of the manifolds I was going to try to make..

15. There are swap headers for S-10's from many companies - I've used Patriot, there are also Speedway, Sanderson, Speed & Performance etc. etc.

16. Gearstix

Gearstix

Yeah I know, if I can't make a set, I'll buy some swap headers.
    I'd like to make my own though. I like to fabricate stuff so.. I figure I'm going to try my hand at an intake and some exhaust manifolds

17. That's cool and personally I like to fab headers (part of my job!) BUT that wasn't your original post question :confused:
    What do you guys do when your trying to jam a SBC into a space where you cannot fit headers?
    A 'log style' exhaust manifold?

18. Gearstix

Gearstix

Well... I'm not too good with wording things..
    I may just buy the swap headers. but what I'd like to do if I bag the truck, is run a functional sidepipe.
    However I don't want to punch a hole in the frame for the exhaust to run through, so I was thinking have the exhaust manifold, then instead of having the pipe run inside the frame and to the back, run it out, down the engine bay and along the outside of the frame.