Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects SBC exhaust- Manifold or Headers?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lazer5000, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Lazer5000

Lazer5000

My 305 has the stock center dump ram horn manifolds on it which work just fine, but I am having an issue with steering clearance. With the manifolds I have to run three U-joints and I still end up with only about and eighth inch of clearance. I was thinking that maybe with a set of shorty's or mid legth headers I might be able to run the steering between the exhaust and block and only run two U-joints. There is plenty of room inside the fender for headers, I just really don't have much experience with them. Any idea's on whether or not this will work?

2. Most shorty's run close to the block - that is why they are referred to as Block Huggers. Probably won't give you the clearance. Maybe fenderwell headers?
    What kind of car?

3. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Lots of choices, whatcha workin on?

4. Lazer5000

Lazer5000

It's a 46 Ply. I know, I know, a chevy in a mopar. I bought the car with no engine and threw the sbc in there to get it on the road quickly. Some day maybe a more suited power plant. Maybe wide headers with lakes. Just trying to figure out a plan of attack befor spending any more cash.

5. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Look for rear dump drivers side manifolds, that is what 49-54 chevy and s10 v8 conversions use.

6. Lazer5000

Lazer5000

That might work.

7. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Go here and look around.
    Click on the big list of different models and all years of that model are pictured.
    Ignore the upper search area...use the "Choose your Chevy model" area.
    Just click on a model that uses the V8 engine...

http://www.1aauto.com/1A/ExhaustManifolds/Chevy

8. Lazer5000

Lazer5000

Thanks. I'll check it out right now.

9. hipkatgreaser

hipkatgreaser

that swap was on this board before and someone figured that problem out, I just off the top of my head can't remember where i saw it.