Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical SBC engine mount?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Manager, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Manager

Manager

I need high engine mount to clear the steering box on my A model. I found this picture in my file but can't remember where it's from but probably the HAMB. Anyone know if they are something available or custom made? Probably going to have to make my own that will do the job but they won't be as nice a job as these. So cal and a couple of others have a similar thing but the horizontal plate is too low for what i need. I have the engine as far forward as I can to try to keep the firewall pretty much uncut. Thanks, John. engine mount_o.jpg

A couple of pictures of what I'm doing.
    amount 001.jpg amount 002.jpg

LOU WELLS and bobo1 like this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

Sure looks funny with the steering box over there! You'll probably have to build your own...which probably requires an engineer to design it for you, so it will be approved...

What about using the mount holes the front of the block, either side of the crank pulley? commonly called a Hurst mount, or cradle.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  3. Manager

Manager

That is my other option Jim but running an alloy bell housing with a Muncie bolted to it ,the extra strain the front mount puts on the 4 bolts into alloy worries me a bit.

4. RoddyB34

RoddyB34

image.jpeg You could use a steel scatter shield type bellhousing,and a hurst type front mount super strong but can be a bit bulky ,,could be trimmed also ,,I'm using this to mount to original A mount brackets in this situation, I have seen the alloy housings crack across the bell above the top bolts too,

5. clem

clem

Might be easier to shift your steering box.???

Poor photos, but similar situation (‘32 chassis) steering box is under engine mount. Easy to fabricate a mount similar to your top photo

Attached Files:

6. Get a tri five car or a 55 and later truck bellhousing that have mounting provisions on iy and use a front mount like Squirrel suggested. you will then have a four point mounting.

squirrel, Mr48chev and clem like this.
  7. Gr8punkin

Gr8punkin

Old Wolf has a good idea there you can also get the relocation brackets off a chevy s10 with a 4.3 V6. Same mounting as a SBC, but it moves the bracket a couple of inches.

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hurst style front mount and the cast iron bellhousing as Old Wolf suggested would be the simple and less headache way of doing it. Or move the steering box but that may open up more headaches yet.
    Old thead with the measurements for a Hurst style mount in it. That might give you an idea or two. https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/motor-mount-patterns.742241/
    Otherwise it is going to be an up and over setup that might be a bit on the not so attractive side.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  9. It's on the wrong side. :D
    Is The engine is in backwards o_O:p:p
    image.jpeg

10. Andy

Andy

I mounted my box going down in the front at a pretty steep angle. It moved the body down. I reshaped the pitman arm so it was bent opposite from stock. This reduces the stress on the mounting and frame. The mounting angle looks kinda like stock 35-48 Ford.

11. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Unisteer cross steering or push pull side steering may help avoid this problem.

12. squirrel

squirrel

I was going to suggest the 50s bellhousing, but figured it might be hard to find one down there. You can look at the Danchuck mount kit for putting an automatic in a 55-57 car, they have ears that mount to the bellhousing bolts, to stabilize the transmission when the front mounts are used. You might be able to copy/modify that design.

13. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

What about those off set SBC engine mount kits...

14. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I recall a fellow getting around that years ago with his SBC. He used a Japanese passenger car box, Datsun (Nissan) 180B or something like that. What about a Suzuki Sierra, Mitsubishi Magna or similar? Open hood or with side curtains, you just need to check clearance if you go to forward mounted Jap box.Will you be running an electric or mechanical fuel pump?

15. Both my '32 and my A have SBC with Hurst style front mount, A has power glide and '32 has Richmond T10 with alloy bell housing. No additional mounts at bell housing area. No problems with either. The A has had that set up since it was built in the '60's. I don't think its a problem, go with the front "hurst" style mount.

16. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

17. mwhistle

mwhistle
    from sacramento

I have an original Hurst front engine mount as mentioned by others. I also run a Muncie 4 speed. It all works fine, but like you, I was concerned about support so I made a simple supplemental mount that uses the engine's bell housing mounts to give that little extra support. It was easy to make and easy to remove if the need arises. I'm sure you can do the same thing. I drag race the car all the time and have had no problems.

18. Blake 27

Blake 27

I'd suggest a more conventional steering mount that places the box lower. You'll still have plenty of ground clearance. DSC06091.JPG DSC06094.JPG

19. Manager

Manager

Blake 27 that was my origional intention but in Aus if we use those stock type Chev mounts we need to have a crossmember under the engine.
    Thanks for all your suggestions but I just wanted to know if anyone knew if those mounts were something available in a rod shop over there. I will make my own. Thanks.