Register now to get rid of these ads!

SBC casting number?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by spark, Oct 25, 2010.

1. <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Bit confused, I looked up the casting number – 3834812 – the raised numbers at the back of the block. One site had it as a 1962-63 283 another had it as 1956-67 283.

Other numbers stamped at the front of the block - 8348373

The engine has a cartridge type oil filler- engine mounts at the sides.
    Draft tube hole at the rear BUT no oil tub/filler at the front, the valve covers are tin with no holes. (how did they get the get oil in? down the dip stick?).

It also has 2 barrel manifold with no hole for a oil fill tube. Powerglide 2 speed auto.

What other numbers do I need to look for? And their location?

Excuse my lack of knowledge this is the first sbc I have had to deal with.

2. 3731548= '57 283. Side mounts started in '58. That's all I got.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. 61 chevy

61 chevy

it probley has a later year manifold on it

5. dubcee

dubcee

Tthe alpha numeric digits stamped on the block in front of the pass. head surface above the water pump is the only REAL way to I.D. your block, the letters in the stamping will tell you more than the casting numbers. they I.D year, model, carb, and tranny, and h.p. good luck.

6. squirrel

squirrel

The letters won't tell you what year it is in many cases, you'd need the block casting date also. It's on the back of the block, top of the bellhousing, look for a letter followed by two to four numbers, such as E 15 2

7. burnin53

burnin53
    from cuba,n.y.

Casting#3834812 indicates a'62-'63 283,according to the sbc parts interchange manual,which has never lied to me yet:cool:.

8. <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Thanks for the info so far,

looks like the sbc parts interchange manual may be one item I should get, I’m going to rebuild the 283 at home and the later intake worries me a bit, don’t know what else I will find.

Is there a marking or cast number on the heads? If so were is it likely to be?

I have done a hamb search on 283 a lot of info to go though.
    other engines I have worked on, all I have done rings / bearings, new oil pump and re assemble.

this one I would like to rebuild close to stock but with 3x2 intake and old finned valve covers- a classic hot rod look.

I am putting together a 27 chev based modified / bucket/ rpu so I think the 283/glide would suit.

any help or advice is appreciated.

9. burnin53

burnin53
    from cuba,n.y.

Definately get the interchange manual,it's very helpful and loaded with good info.
    The head casting numbers are under the valve covers,should be a 6-8 digit number.
    Get the numbers and I'll look them up to see what heads you have.