Register now to get rid of these ads!

sbc Carb not level when engine is?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Upchuck, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Upchuck

Upchuck
    from Canada BC

there is some discussion in another thread about this and to not take away from the original topic of that thread I thought I might open up a new one

I've tried a quick search on the internet why on a sbc as an example when the engine is level (front to rear) the carburator leans forward and doesn't sit level with the engine

I figured its for the oil to flow back quicker into the sump when the carbs are level with the engine when its layed back and help get a proper pinion angle to the rear end

anyone know why it was built that way? somebody designed it so there must be a good reason its been like that for 50 or so years.
    anyone got a factory fuel injected sbc newer rig outside they can see if its the same way or is it just the carb engines?

2. 53chieftian

53chieftian

I think you answered your own question, but if there is a better answer I'd like to know also!

3. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

Not only chevy, but Ford, Mopar, AMC, Packard, and most every other car I've worked on was set up the same way. It's to give the driveshaft a straight shot at the pinion, and to lower the trans for a lower floor hump.

4. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

Yes.