Register now to get rid of these ads!

SBC can't get out of its own way HELP!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by montana65, May 16, 2009.

1. montana65

montana65
    from Santa Cruz

First of all I know I really haven't posted that much, however I'm on here everyday drooling over the the cars you guys build. Second of all i need some help with my 65 chevy truck's 350 small block. So I got a little too excited and spun the tires around a turn in first gear, then I came to a stop and tried to head back down the road and it felt like the emergency brake was on. the motor began to run like crap, and then this morning I could bearly get it up to my garage. the motor is old and was rebuilt about 10 years ago, it starts fine, but idles terrible. and I need it to get to school on monday, any info would help, thanks.

2. skwurl

skwurl

Timing, fuel compresion. Check em out. It may be something binding and causing your problem. Did you hear a pop or any unusaul noises?

3. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Just start checking everything. Carb, Timing, Plugs, Wires, Coil, Etc. It's hard to say what your issue is with such a vague description of what's going on with the motor.

4. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

If it happened that suddenly it might have jumped time. I'd be checking that

5. TomP64

TomP64
    from Vancouver

As a Ford guy i don't think a 350 Chevy being down on power is at all unusual :) ... but it could be a lot of things. Did you overrev it or did it starve for oil on the turn? And are there any new rapping or ticking noises?

6. montana65

montana65
    from Santa Cruz

ok well I put a new set of block hugger headers on and its been spitting and popping a little, but only when downshifting or when revving the engine, and after this happened I tried to advance the timing, but did little to nothing, then tested the vacum and it was fine, and just now I took a look at the spark plugs and their brown and black but not too bad.

7. 5wcoupehunter

5wcoupehunter
    from FLORIDA

put a sbf in it if you want power.

8. montana65

montana65
    from Santa Cruz

how do I test for jumped time?, also it may have been over revved I wasnt looking at the tach.

9. roundvalley

roundvalley

This sounds dumb but my newer truck was running bad last winter and the shop blamed it on the Cat. converter and wanted to put a new one on. I came home and put some fuel de icer in the fuel tank. 2 minutes and it ran like new! I live in snow country and this is common.

10. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Check your timing with a timing light. A lso drain your oil. Look for mettalic chips in your oil. 2 ideas that are cheap

11. skunx1964

skunx1964

is it the trans actin up, and not the motor?

12. Special Ed

Special Ed

that's what I had in the back of head, too.....

13. montana65

montana65
    from Santa Cruz

well I know its not the trans because when I drove it home it ran terrible in the beginning of 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and reverse.

14. Fogger

Fogger

Check the basics, rotor and cap first, then timing, could be a broken rotor or cracked cap. It rotor or cap are damaged check motor mounts, distributer could have hit the firewall if mounts are bad. Good luck, The FOGGER

15. Ghost28

Ghost28

check your cap and rotor. Because if your engine mounts are weak you might have shifted your distributor against the firewall and cracked the cap or rotor. Just a thought. And no do not put a ford in that chevy you will go broke fixing it. :D ...ghost damn fogger your quick and smart

16. 61 Fairlane

61 Fairlane

Check the compression too, might be a bent valve. Maybe a broken valve spring

17. TomP64

TomP64
    from Vancouver

The only change since it was running good is the headers? Maybe plug wires on wrong...or... headers have a blockage.

18. skunx1964

skunx1964

well, they emergency brake comment reminds me of when my trans started comin apart. and if something broke inside it could be holding 1st and reverse together, or something similar. or you coulda stirred up shit in the tank and pulled it up into the carb....

19. montana65

montana65
    from Santa Cruz

on the side of the road I took the cap off and didn't see any problems, but probably need to check points.

20. montana65

montana65
    from Santa Cruz

how do I check for a bent pushrod

21. adamabomb76

adamabomb76
    from York, Pa

If you didn't build the motor, or do anything that would envolve dissassebling the mill, I'd say you "jumped timing".

I'd have to say check your timing chain. Some idiots think that a rebuilt engine doesn't include replaceing a timing chain. Don't ask me how I know. If it was rebuilt 10 yrs. ago, and some idiot said "we'll use the origional timing chain cause it's still good..." ...just look man. It's an idea.

Sorry I'm not nice w/words.

Adam

22. chevyshack

chevyshack

When you rev it and it cracks and pops are those on the rev or when the rpms are on the way down? Could just be an exhaust leak is why i ask. Used to have an old chevy truck that when you revved it up when it was decelerating it would back fire realy bad! Ended up blowing out the dougnut gasket at the Y-pipe. As for your no power problem, id say most likely your timing chain is old and probly stretched causing it to jump time. If it comes out to be that pay the extra 15 bucks or so and buy a double roller timing chain. might as well pop in a bigger cam to boot.

23. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

Check the wires ,its easy to cross over one or two when you change the headers and it will make it run just bad enough for ya to think its blowed up.....

I would check the timing after that,if you can't get the timing to change the rpms of the motor or the sound of the motor you may have jumped timing with the chain one tooth....

My two cents,and really just trying to think out loud and to help..

Good luck a 350 sbc is real easy to work on and trouble shoot....

24. chevyshack

chevyshack

You dont have a spark plug wire to close to the headers do you? Might be melted and grounding out.

25. montana65

montana65
    from Santa Cruz

I have a feeling it is a timing chain problem, someone had actually mentioned that earlier today I didnt belief him but after your help I think thats it, Ill check it tomorrow along with some other tests, and let you know. thanks

26. rebelrat

rebelrat

start it at night and look for sparks jumping around headers and plug wires,bet one has melted on those headers

27. montana65

montana65
    from Santa Cruz

actually there is a spark plug wire touching the header right at the spark plug, but hasn't melted yet and doesn't look like anyway around it

28. montana65

montana65
    from Santa Cruz

at night I cant see any sparks but the wires are old and need to change em soon

29. ...doc...

...doc...
    from Houston

+1, don't go pulling it apart looking for a bent pushrod or sloppy timing chain,...check for plug wires sitting on the new block headers you installed.

It would take a minute or two for one or more wires to melt and ground on the header after start up.

30. Fogger

Fogger

Hey Ghost, Same thing happened to me 40 years ago. Most obvious because of when the problem happened, going around a turn with the power on. The FOGGER