Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Sbc bell housing sizes?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Phil P, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good morning all.

I've just picked up this 283 for my 30 model a project. The casting # says it’s a 1962 and the transmission says it came from a truck. Is this a good bell housing to use or are there more compact ones that might make things easier in the long run. Thanks Phil

1Nimrod likes this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

With some more information, especially pictures, we might be able to help you better.

Most of the older Chevy bellhousings are the same "size", the glaring exception being the center hole that is larger in 1968-newer truck bellhousings.

you didn't say what kind of transmission you have, if it's a 3 speed, 4 speed, what year, etc, so we can only guess.

1Nimrod likes this.
  3. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20181018_104103.jpg 20181018_104049.jpg 20181018_104049.jpg Sorry I meant to put in pictures, the transmission is no good it's a sm*** truck transmission.

1Nimrod likes this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

that looks like the SM465 transmission, which uses the bellhousing with the large hole, so that bell you have would be from 1968-72. If the date code ends in 2, it would be 1972.

The earlier SM420 transmission has a normal size front bearing retainer, and uses the same bellhousing center hole as the car transmissions.

you can make or buy an adapter ring to use that bellhousing with a car type transmission, too

1Nimrod likes this.

5. The 1955-1957 (maybe later) car and SM420 truck types are the same. I thought I was using one from a truck all these years, ran the numbers when I put my car together. Which says it was from a 1955 Chevy. 168 tooth flywheel and use a truck starter.

6. squirrel

squirrel

55-7 car bellhousings are different from truck bellhousings. They are similar. The mounting holes are different.

Sent from my Trimline

1Nimrod likes this.
  7. You won't find a smaller bellhousing as they all bolt on to the block the same. The flywheel size is another story. The type of bellhousing pictured (with the starter attached to the bellhousing) will use the large diameter flywheel while the block mounted starter will use a smaller flywheel.

8. thats some heavy duty stuff for a model A
    the granny gear 4 speed will eat up a lot of room
    these aluminum ones are easy to find and lighter and will use street friendlier transmission

bell.jpg

1Nimrod likes this.
  9. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I knew the transmission was a non-starter, But wondered if a car bell housing would fit better. Phil

1Nimrod likes this.
  10. squirrel

squirrel

depends what year car bellhousing, and what diameter flywheel it is designed to fit.

The later aluminum bellhousing, for the smaller flywheel, is the most compact.

something like this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/273493935067?

1Nimrod likes this.
  11. Fordors

Fordors

As @squirrel mentioned get the adapter ring for the bell housing to go from the truck transmission to a passenger car trans. You already have the bell housing, flywheel and starter, I see no reason to obsolete those parts. To answer your last question, other than the mounting ears at the bottom of your b/h it is basically the same physical size. There are slightly smaller (tighter, the way they fit around the pressure plate) bells but then you would need a 12 3/4", 153 tooth flywheel and the corresponding starter. The f/w you have now is 14", 168 tooth.

1Nimrod likes this.
  12. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I you use any of the aluminum bellhousings, even though they are a little more compact due to not having side mounts, you'll then need a different style starter motor; one that bolts to the block. An aluminum bellhousing may give you slightly more room for headers, and the unused side mounts on the truck bellhousing look a little out of place. How "nice" do you want things to look? Sort of a "form over function" decision. Personally, I'd lose the truck bellhousing and transmission in favor of passenger car ones, and use an aluminum bellhousing. Or just stick an automatic transmission in it and be done with it. I am B utch/56sedandelivery.

1Nimrod likes this.
  13. F.O.G

F.O.G
    from Pacific,Mo

Tried bolting a 327 car bellhousing on my buddys '66 427 Corvette, bolted on but would not after we put
    the clutch on, had to saw bottom off including lwr bolt on each side. Got it back together so he could
    drive it to the dealer and trade it in on a new 1970 442 Olds. Young and dumb.