Register now to get rid of these ads!

SBC and clutch fork

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sammyg, Aug 8, 2010.

1. sammyg

sammyg

Newbie question, I know... But, I need to switch out the cluch fork on my 283... Between the 283 and the SM420 is an open bottom bell housing (earlier, has the smaller locating hole)
    Can this be done without pulling the engine or transmission, or should I just pull the engine?
    Thanks

2. I've never had to take off a fork by itself on the truck setup, but you should be able to undo it at the pivot, slide the fork inward and then it comes off the TO bearing.

Bob

3. dbradley

dbradley

I think you'll find that you have to remove the transmission. The fork has to move 'inward' and the bearing/fork would hit the input shaft before its clear of the pivot ball.

4. IIRC, the fork has 2 tabs that pick up the TO bearing and once you push it it free of the ball, it opens up and may clear the collar on the bearing. Deffo worth a shot, those SM420 boxes are not the lightest thing in the world.

Bob

5. hr31hr

hr31hr
    from PA

Had the wrong fork in a Camaro. Could get the fork unsnaped from the pivot but not far enough in the get it out. Had to pulll the trans.