Register now to get rid of these ads!

sbc 3x2 question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bfink55, May 2, 2008.

1. bfink55

bfink55
    from Turlock CA

ive got a edelbrock 3x2 manifold on my 55 chevy truck , i dont know the exact model , it just says "edelbrock" twice on it . the carbs are rochester 2 jets . i've had this set up for years but it was only ran on the street for a few months so i never got a chance to fine tune it . so back to my question , when taking the truck apart recently i noticed that the water neck was cracked on top and it looks like its almost touching the front carb . the water neck is your typical cheap chrome mr gasket type but im wondering if anyone else has had this happen? and if so did you change to a different kind of water neck (90*?) or just trim the front carb for clearence?

thanks , Fink

2. 3x2rocket

3x2rocket

I've seen this before the carbs often seem to just barely fit, this is why the Olds j2 manifolds have that funny looking water neck. I solved the problem on my buddies car by using really thick carb base gaskets which rose the front of the carb up and away from the water neck.

3. bfink55

bfink55
    from Turlock CA

cool thanks, thats not a bad idea......anybody ever grind a little bit off the front ? im kinda afraid too i dont want to f-anything up

4. andysdeuce

andysdeuce
    Member Emeritus

As mentioned in the above post...you can put a thicker gasket on the front carb. You can get a thicker gasket material at the parts store and make your own. Looks like you need to buy a new thermoset housing so get one that has the "O" ring gasket in it and put good quality sealer on the flanges. This will drop the housing below the front carb with an original carb gasket. Good luck.

5. jerry

jerry

If you grind on the body you will probably have a leak. Don't ask how I know this!

jerry

6. HotRodHon

HotRodHon

Carb spacers are your friend.

7. andysdeuce

andysdeuce
    Member Emeritus

I used 2" carb spacers on my set-up. This was mainly to go from a 3 bolt intake to 4 bolt carbs but they look a lot better in the engine bay raised a little bit. Try dickster27 here on the board. He may have them in stock or he can get them for you.

8. HotRodHon

HotRodHon

Speedway's got em. Have em on my truck and my APU.

Craig :[