Register now to get rid of these ads!

Saving Dry Old Masking Tape

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by amx180mph, Jan 18, 2012.

1. GTHobbyandRaceway

GTHobbyandRaceway

its a pretty neat 2-3 seconds of light show. try it at home.. wont damage anything. I microwaved a shitload of old Dreamcast games..

2. My lil brother strung a few hundred feet of extension cord and filled a microwave with fireworks once. ......................

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  3. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Don't ever microwave Vodka and then pour jello in it.

It fucking explodes !

4. Willy301

Willy301

Just pointing out a dangerous practice. I use the electric with my grinder because I know the inherent risk...Just telling someone the positive side of something invite injury. If my warning keeps on HAMB'er out of the ER or the morgue, it is worth any ignorant replies.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  5. terry48435

terry48435

I just tried it. Worked great. Thanx bro. By the way,I loved the Harley dealer in Loveland.I was there in '05.

6. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Ya knowww I threw a load-o-tape away last weekend. It was not useable and I'm so cheap it was horrible. Now this! I'm never cleaning the garage again.

7. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Amazing. I'd rin out of ideas long ago and was grudgingly throw old, dry rolls away! THANKS!

But, yeah, Willy301 is correct. Even overheating water on one cycle CAN (not always) cause it to super-heat and atomize as soon as you open the door. Hot steam bath! Be cautious. Me, I let boiling water simmer down 15-20 seconds before doing anything with it.

8. 63 Avanti 3137

63 Avanti 3137

Thanks for the great tip, it's a keeper.
    As for Microwaves... I hear the fireworks start when electrons on one surface are being constrained by the electrons of a second layer. A silver or steel alloy spoon doesn't have a problem with microwaves but a silver or copper plate will. It has something to do with expansion rates of the different materials (where does that ring a bell from?) IIRC
    From what I've tried it seems to hold true but I haven't tried a light bulb.
    That's something to look forward to exploring the next time my grandson comes over.

9. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Imagine someone askin me for a 10" brake setup a week after I finally scrapped it.

10. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

I was only kiddin, i didnt think it was necessary pointin it out.:cool:

11. hot_rod_bones

hot_rod_bones
    from topeka, ks

did you really waste vodka like that, for shame....

i have a few rolls of tape i will try this one when i get home. if the majority says it explodes when you open the door, then i will just leave the door closed for a few minutes.

thanks to the original poster

12. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

Put a few shots of vodka in the microwave with your tape. it'll save the tape, but it won't be able to mask a straight line any more.

13. Willy301

Willy301

LMAO, you got that right!

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You don't have one of each in your shop just for shop use along with a washing machine just for coveralls and shop rags?

that's a great Idea as every time I go to use the 3/4 of a roll of masking tape that's in the drawer it's too dried up to use.

15. willy, see what you started here? Now they have got vodka and jello in the microwave. Nobody's going to fix their tape.

Every single thing you can ever think to do has the inherent and latent potential to kill you. And i mean Everything. Every step you take has the potential to break your neck, every swallow of water can drown you, every bite of food carries the risk of food borne illness and choking. Every television has the potential to spontaneously explode. Every electrical device has the potential .... Every ignition of you furnace has the potential, ..... On and on and on.

The container needs to be perfectly clean, the water free of impurities and under damn near perfect conditions for that to happen.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  16. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Why even bother using the microwave? You can make steam and add moisture in other ways, you know.

Now excuse me while I go put my masking tape in my cigar humidor....

17. Maybe you should have your tape guarded by one of those nasty Microwaves! People are afraid of 'em I hear?

18. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Wonder how a pressure cooker would work?

19. Like this:
    Pitsha,pitsha,pitsha, pitsha, pitsha, pitsha

20. Soreback

Soreback

Thumbs up on the tape tech. Thanks. Got anything for going grey and bald?

21. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

I just carry the roll of tape under my arm for a couple hours.............Frees it right up!

22. amx180mph

amx180mph

Just a followup after two weeks the masking tape that I microwaved in the tupperware dish is still as good as new. I put some on an old hood and it pulled off leaving no residue after setting two weeks. I do know that if the roll is hot wait until it cools because the adhesive is a bit hard to get to release from the paint if it is applied hot.

23. I do this with a wet paper towel instead of a cup of water