Back story my buddy Don bought this car in January 2011. The car was owned by one of our local club members but had been stored for at least 10 years outside in Tonasket WA. That is Jack the former owner. Although the seats were there they had acquired some resident pack rats over the years. The engine bay had it's share of nest materials.... Don brought the car home and did the disgusting clean up job. Apparently he brought home at least one of the former inhabitants. Don eventually discovered a nest in his crawl space and had dispatch the cute little pest. The car had been rewired at some point . The wiring was done very well. Don got the old motor running and reports that seems run better the more he drives it. The seat springs were saved but had to be stripped to frames. Some temporary bucket seats were installed. Don's plan was to keep driving the car while the sheet metal problems are being addressed. He will address the the drive train later. In 2013 Don brought the Merc to my shop for a floor repair project. In retrospect it probably would have been easier to find a donor car for the floor but those are kind of hard to find around here. The car was fairly sound with minimal dents, but time in the barn yard with a window down and unwanted residents resulted in some rusty floors. This was our first attempt at sheet metal work. We had some new tools to learn and play with including an English wheel , planishing hammer,Shrinker stretcher,bead roller,sheet metal shear, and a HF 36" brake. We also borrowed a pot welder which I will show you later. We started in the rear floor pan area with some purchased panels. The panels were thinner than the originals and we decided to add these stiffeners to the bottom. After the sides were done Don cut out the drive line hump and we fabricated the patch panel to replace it. we cut the top off of the rocker panels and decided they would have to be replaced. Drivers side floor . Passenger side floor More drivers side floor and rocker area. We tried to cut out small sections but carried away once in awhile. The spot welder worked well as long as there was sound CLEAN metal with no space between the panels. Gaps or rust would result in blown out metal (holes) That's a good buddy (Jeff) that crawled under the car and ate some rust and dirt for the cause. The floor supports or braces were pretty rusty . Replacement pieces are available for these but we decided to fabricate our own. The two sides were bent in the brake and screwed to 2x6. The center section was then welded in (top and bottom). You can see the support in the center of this picture. I realize 54 Mercury post cars are not a real hot item on the HAMB but I hope some of you will find the projects we are doing of general interest. Happy New Year!