Register now to get rid of these ads!

saving a 4banger

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pq55, Mar 6, 2009.

1. pq55

pq55

One of my friend, broke a rod at full speed in a freshly rebuilt ford model a motor.The rebuilder forgot to put the tray in the pan so the rod didn't have oil.The block # was is vin ,so it has some value for him. I took a block that need full rebuilt an made a patch for the other block with it.It was a challenge because i can't preheat the block as usually do because of the babbitt.So i tig with silicon bronze rod from the center and goes both way in half inch increment and let cool between.Also make attention that the patch need a gap , if it touch the contraction will make a crack somewhere. After welding , i had a sleeve put in the third cylinder. The machinist has to use a carbide cutter in is boring bar to cut my weld and the now hard cast iron. The motor is now in the car and run fine. just waiting for the spring to do a full speed (55mph) test.

Attached Files:

2. how did you fix the wahter jackets?
    cool fix but a set of number/letter punches would have been easier
    since the engine builder forgot to put the dipper tray in i imagine this new motor is on his dime

tk

3. Elrod

Elrod

Great work! Thanks for posting the pictures!! I love seeing stuff like this and really appreciate the work that went into it!

...but did your friend think to just stamp the number on a new block? :D

4. Ditto for what he said. I have more of an appriciation for those old 4's than I used to. :)

5. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

take a closer looks at the pics. there isn't a water jacket on that side of the motor.

hopefully your fix holds up. we've tried to do this same thing with a few of our race model b's and it didn't hold up. but we're racing them and running them up to 5500 rpm. you'll probably be okay with just street use.

6. pq55

pq55

This block as lot of money put in it, new babbit,decked,bored etc. So he tought it will be cheaper to save this one. Took me 10 hrs , sleeve ,piston and a rod.The other rods and the crank were fine, go figure.The sleeve install was my worrie for my weld but i check with dye and it hold up.

how did you fix the wahter jackets?

The hole doesn't reach the water jacket

Pat

7. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Neat work.
    Let us know how it holds up after testing. As you say, for street use I'm sure it'll be okay.

8. man i suck at spelling or typing i guess
    i was thinking that it broke all the way up into the water jacket area. it just looks like it from the pictures and the angle of where the water exits the block just in front of the crack.
    i really hope that the engine builder took care of this motor. if i had a motor let go because someone assembled incorrectly then i would want som $$$$ back.
    as far as cracked blocks though the guy who builds the A motors for my dad and I welds up external water jackets all the time and never has a problem with them. but they are not as structral as this break
    cool none the less

9. pq55

pq55

The car was bought at an estate sale,the owner die just after finishing the car.So no refund possible. another funny thing about this car (31 roadster), when my friend pick it up it had 3 reverse and 1 foward speed. The ring was put on the wrong side of the pinion in the banjo.
    The motor broke last spring.we put one of my motor, so he could enjoy is car last summer.Now his motor is back in and ready for the next season.

10. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Excellent. Your skills are rare.